First helicopter (Remember those days?)

Old September 6th 03, 01:35 AM

terra wrote:

As far as me, I bought a Rotorway Scorpion One single seat helicopter
for a song and am in the process of restoring it. It looks just like
the scorpion 133 only thinner.

I saw one at an auto show, seems about 40 years ago. Evinrude motor, right?

No no no, its only been about 35 years and is a about a decade or two
younger than the brantly - only better looking. Yes, it uses a 110 HP
evinrude. In those days, the evinrude was the best choice for a
vertically running engine. I'm not so crazy about it being 2-cycle,
but it is and it works. It will also fly when I am done with it.

Dennis H.

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."
To find out what an H-1B is and how they are putting
Americans out of work, visit the following web site
and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news video:
http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm

Old September 6th 03, 08:19 AM

terra wrote:

There's a sketch of your Scorpion and a bit of history at
http://avia.russian.ee/vertigo/scorpion-r.html
Yes, it looks good. Improved all-aluminum rotor blades are mentioned. Be careful
with your deteriorated 35 year-old blades with only 25 hours on them, they
apparently weren't too great when they were new.

The sketch is pretty close to what I have. The red one in the photo
on top and the one in the sketch are both supposed to be scorpions.
The frames are pretty much the same with different bodies. I think
that the red one is the first one that they are talking about and the
one in the sketch is the second one. The javelin is a totally
different looking helicopter.

More rotorway history at: http://www.rotorway.com/history.html
There is a really good photo site at:
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaver...364/earl2.html

In any event, my scorpion rotor blades are composite and appear
cracked. I haven't figured out how to fix them yet. Perhaps a fresh
coat of resin?

Old September 6th 03, 02:48 PM
Bernie the Bunion

In any event, my scorpion rotor blades are composite and appear
cracked. I haven't figured out how to fix them yet.

Fix.....????????

Perhaps a fresh coat of resin?

Perhaps a new set of blades.
Old September 6th 03, 11:17 PM
Micbloo

... The javelin is a totally
different looking helicopter.

Ahh, the `60s :-)

Thanks, it's hilarious!!

Geez, it looks like the thing that sits in the play area of my daughters old
Kindergarten
Center.

Remember Pearl Harbor: Special Program Tonight at EAA Fitzair4 Home Built 0 December 7th 04 07:40 PM
Helicopter accident Manuel Piloting 13 January 24th 04 09:37 PM
Helicopter crash video James Blakely Piloting 17 December 30th 03 03:21 PM
RAH-66 Comanche helicopter could face budget cuts in 2005 Larry Dighera Military Aviation 0 November 19th 03 02:18 PM
Helicopter Crashes in Sicily Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 July 16th 03 11:34 PM