ENvironmentally Friendly Inter City Aircraft powered by Fuel Cells

Old June 7th 07, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Default American decline in tech was: ENvironmentally Friendly ...

Jose wrote:
Stem cell research is not illegal in the US.

I stand corrected. It was my impression that it was not possible to
obtain any but a few stem cell lines here in the US. Since stem cell
lines are rather critical in doing stem cell research, it is better to
go offshore.

So, do you have another example of scientific research that is being
moved offshore because it is illegal in the US?

Research in illegal drugs comes to mind (marijuana for cancer, for
example). I don't know if this is being "moved offshore" or not
however.

Marinol, a synthetic THC, has been approved in the USA as a prescription
drug since the mid '80s. What is illegal on the federal level is crackpot
doctors and others selling pot as, pardon the pun, a roll your own med.

Research in evolution... well, it's not illegal in most states, but
teaching it is illegal in some states (or is bundled with teaching
superstition as science). Lose the researchers to superstition when
they are young, and you won't have to make research illegal. Nobody
will even know what research =is=.

Evolution is studied by researchers all over the country. While a agree that
schools shouldn't be teaching ID or creationism as science do you really
thing a child who is bright enough to become a scientist is going to not
figure out what is going on? All they have to do is pick up book or turn on
the internet.

Old June 7th 07, 03:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roy Smith

In article ,
"Matt Barrow" wrote:

"kontiki" wrote in message
Jim Logajan wrote:
kontiki wrote:

Really good engineers can pretty much name their own salary.
I've interviewed dozens that put a lot of buzz words on a resume and
really didn't know squat.

What engineering discipline are you trained and licensed in?

Software... systems architecture and database design, real time.

I've never been required to be "licensed".

AIR, to call yourself an "Engineer" in some states, you must be licensed.

My official job title is "Principal Engineer". I don't hold a PE license.
Apparently people with my same job in my company who work in Canada have a
different title, because Canadian laws do not allow a job title to include
the word "engineer" unless they are licensed.

My email signature at work just says, "Software Guy", however.
Old June 7th 07, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

What is illegal on the federal level is crackpot
doctors and others selling pot as, pardon the pun, a roll your own med.

.... and what makes those doctors crackpot? The fact that they prescribe
marijuana?

do you really thing a child who is
bright enough to become a scientist is going to not
figure out what is going on?

Yes. There are plenty of bright, superstitious people.

Jose
--
There are two kinds of people in the world. Those that just want to
know what button to push, and those that want to know what happens when
Old June 7th 07, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Jose wrote:
What is illegal on the federal level is crackpot
doctors and others selling pot as, pardon the pun, a roll your own
med.

... and what makes those doctors crackpot? The fact that they
prescribe marijuana?

Pretty much, yes. Most doctors don't go around making up their own
prescriptions.

do you really thing a child who is
bright enough to become a scientist is going to not
figure out what is going on?

Yes. There are plenty of bright, superstitious people.

If they have enough of a questioning mind to become a useful scientist then
they should have enough of one to get all the info that is out there and
decide things for themselves.

Old June 8th 07, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Roy Smith wrote:
In article ,
"Matt Barrow" wrote:

"kontiki" wrote in message
Jim Logajan wrote:
kontiki wrote:

Really good engineers can pretty much name their own salary.
I've interviewed dozens that put a lot of buzz words on a resume and
really didn't know squat.

What engineering discipline are you trained and licensed in?
Software... systems architecture and database design, real time.

I've never been required to be "licensed".

AIR, to call yourself an "Engineer" in some states, you must be licensed.

My official job title is "Principal Engineer". I don't hold a PE license.
Apparently people with my same job in my company who work in Canada have a
different title, because Canadian laws do not allow a job title to include
the word "engineer" unless they are licensed.

My email signature at work just says, "Software Guy", however.

As long as you are working for a company and not offering services to
the public, you can use any title you desire.

Matt
Old June 8th 07, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Fry

"xxx" == xxx writes:

xxx If you or anyone else who actually hires engineers has
xxx anything constructive to say about the holes in American
xxx engineering education, as one of the people who can actually
xxx do something about it, I want to hear the suggestions.

Sure, I hire entry-level engineers. Their skills are OK but can you
teach them to have a good attitude about just doing work?

The problem really isn't in our university system, it's in our
society, which only occasionally honors the thinking professions.
--
"My belief is we will, in fact, be greeted as liberators." --Vice
President Dick Cheney, "Meet the Press," March 16, 2003

Old June 8th 07, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Fry

"DT" == Don Tuite writes:

DT Much of the private-sector research of the kind that used to
DT be done by Bell Labs is no more, a victim of tax laws.

Could you explain further? Because Bell Labs, a part of the old AT&T,
did its best work as a regulated monopoly and was guaranteed a
profit. Hence they could afford to investigate some basic things
without immediate commercial value.
--
If we could read the secret history of our enemies we should find in
each person's life sorrow and suffering enough to disarm all

- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Old June 8th 07, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Fry

"MW" == Matt Whiting writes:

MW As long as you are working for a company and not offering
MW services to the public, you can use any title you desire.

No, you can't. There are legal restrictions on some titles of
engineering. Nevertheless, one certainly need not be registered to
call themselves an engineer. What's almost always recognized is a
4-year degree or better in engineering from an acredited engineering
program.
--
"Ladies and gentlemen, these are not assertions. These are facts,
corroborated by many sources, some of them sources of the intelligence

Old June 8th 07, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Bob Fry wrote:
"MW" == Matt Whiting writes:

MW As long as you are working for a company and not offering
MW services to the public, you can use any title you desire.

No, you can't. There are legal restrictions on some titles of
engineering. Nevertheless, one certainly need not be registered to
call themselves an engineer. What's almost always recognized is a
4-year degree or better in engineering from an acredited engineering
program.

In the US you can in most states anyway. There may be a state or two
where this isn't true, but I'm not aware of any.

http://www.todaysengineer.org/archiv.../feb02/te1.asp

I have no idea what the law is in Canada or other countries, but in the
USA the "industrial exemption" is pretty much universally excepted.

What are the restrictions you are referring to with respect to titles?

Matt
Old June 8th 07, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Matt Whiting wrote:
Bob Fry wrote:
No, you can't. There are legal restrictions on some titles of
engineering. Nevertheless, one certainly need not be registered to
call themselves an engineer. What's almost always recognized is a
4-year degree or better in engineering from an acredited engineering
program.

In the US you can in most states anyway. There may be a state or two
where this isn't true, but I'm not aware of any.

North Carolina is one:
"Illegal use of engineer title raises ire of profession"
http://triad.bizjournals.com/triad/s...12/focus3.html

Tennessee is another (well, it is even worse in that it is argued that
is is illegal to arbitrarily title oneself a "Software Engineer" in all
50 states!):

"Software Engineering is Illegal" (First part)
"YOU ARE A SOFTWARE ENGINEER!!!" (Second part; rebuttal)
http://staff.science.uva.nl/~boasson/SE/SEillegal.pdf

This next article costs money (which I haven't shelled out!) but the
title and the context Google provided suggests it is relevant:

"What Do You Mean I Can't Call Myself a Software Engineer?"

http://csdl2.computer.org/persagen/D...1109/52.805472

And here's a legal decision regarding the use of "Software Engineer" in
one Canadian province:

"Quebec engineers win court battle against Microsoft

Microsoft Canada has contravened a provincial professional code by using
the word "engineer" in its international software certification program,
a Quebec court has ruled.

The decision by Judge Claude Millette of this Court of Quebec this week
marks the first time in Microsoft's history it has been penalized over
use of the term. It also provides a historic, if largely symbolic,
victory for professional engineers across Canada who have been trying to
curtail the word's use in the context of software development."

http://www.peo.on.ca/enforcement/Que..._April2004.pdf

Fuel Cells? Doug Haluza Soaring 14 April 4th 06 04:32 AM
Rubber fuel cells Mike Rapoport Owning 15 September 17th 05 12:54 PM
Powered gliders = powered aircraft for 91.205 Mark James Boyd Soaring 2 December 12th 04 03:28 AM
Diamond Aircraft on Hydrogen Fuel Cells Raul Ruiz Piloting 1 July 13th 03 11:27 PM