another radial question

Old September 26th 07, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

Default another radial question

"Paul kgyy" wrote

Having said that, they are still used a lot. I've heard that one nice
thing about radials is instant power response.

Humm, not quite what I have heard.

Like all geared engines, (most radials do have the shaft speed reduced
though gearing, I believe) you have to roll the power on smoothly, if you
want them to last.
--
Jim in NC

Old September 27th 07, 03:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Sep 26, 9:45 am, "Morgans" wrote:
"Paul kgyy" wrote

Having said that, they are still used a lot. I've heard that one nice
thing about radials is instant power response.

Humm, not quite what I have heard.

Like all geared engines, (most radials do have the shaft speed reduced
though gearing, I believe) you have to roll the power on smoothly, if you
want them to last.
--
Jim in NC

Lots, but not most, I don't think. Except for the small
Russian radials, gearing is usually found in the larger engines.

Dan

Old September 27th 07, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

Dan_Thomas_ wrote

Lots, but not most, I don't think. Except for the small
Russian radials, gearing is usually found in the larger engines.

How about the P&W R-985, the Wasp Junior? Was that geared?

That engine comes to mind, because it was the common engine on the Beaver
bushplanes.

It would be interesting (to me, at least) to see a list of the most common
radial engines, and see which are geared, or not. I have no idea if a list
such as that exists, or where it would be found. Anyone?
--
Jim in NC

Old September 27th 07, 04:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

wrote in message
oups.com...

Lots, but not most, I don't think. Except for the small
Russian radials, gearing is usually found in the larger engines.

http://www.radialengines.com/faq_section/index.htm#q3

Pretty pictures! Piston / Crank Arrangement

--
Matt Barrow
Performance Homes, LLC.