Vertex Handhelds

Old November 24th 04, 04:59 PM
Jeff Franks

Default Vertex Handhelds

Just wondering if anyone here had experience (good or bad) with Vertex
handheld transceivers. I'm about to buy SOMETHING, but I'm not sure whether
or not I'm gonna stick with the standard ICOM.

thanks for any opinions.

jf

Old November 24th 04, 06:39 PM
Jack Allison

Jeff,

I bought a VXA-210 about a year and a half ago and I love it. It's
worked great. My only complaint is the SMA style antenna connector (vs.
BNC). Requires an adapter to convert to BNC for plugging in an external
antenna.

I have friends with ICOM radios and they like them a lot. I've never
used one myself nor have I compared side by side ICOM with Vertex Standard.

You might want to google the newsgroups for information as I recall
several similar threads.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL, soon-2-B-IA Student, airplane partnership student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old November 24th 04, 06:45 PM
Peter MacPherson

I'm on the opposite side. I've never owned a Vertex but have
had an ICOM A-22 for about six years. It works great and
have never had a problem with it.

Pete

Old November 24th 04, 06:46 PM
10Squared

Jeff Franks wrote:

Just wondering if anyone here had experience (good or bad) with Vertex
handheld transceivers. I'm about to buy SOMETHING, but I'm not sure
whether or not I'm gonna stick with the standard ICOM.

thanks for any opinions.

jf

I own both Yaseu (Vertex) and Icom HTs. The Icom is an aviation transceiver
(AC-23) and the Yaseu is a 3 band amateur radio transceiver (VX5R) that
also recieves aviation frequencies. The Yaseu is loaded with features, but
the programming interface is not intuitive (translation: carry the manual
with you). I like the programming interface of the Icom much better. Also,
I like the audio of the Icom better, reception is "cleaner" than the Yaseu
on the same aviation frequency. The Yaseu has a magnesium case whereas the
Icom case is plastic, so I think the Yaseu is more durable. The buttons on
the Icom are larger. The Yaseu runs longer on a charge than the Icom (I
don't recall the power output on the Icom, but the Yaseu is up to 5W). I
haven't looked at any Vertex aviation radios, but I think the engineering
approach is going to be very similar to the unit I have. At any rate, those
are some features and characteristics of the radios that stand out.

Old November 24th 04, 10:05 PM
Nathan Young

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 10:59:26 -0600, "Jeff Franks"
wrote:

Just wondering if anyone here had experience (good or bad) with Vertex
handheld transceivers. I'm about to buy SOMETHING, but I'm not sure whether
or not I'm gonna stick with the standard ICOM.

thanks for any opinions.

I have a Yaesu Vertex (I think a VXA150), and am happy with it. I
have only used it a few times in flight though.

As expected, range with the rubber antenna was not very good, but this
will be true of any handheld.

I would buy another one.

-Nathan

Old November 25th 04, 12:30 AM
RM

"Jeff Franks" wrote in message ...
Just wondering if anyone here had experience (good or bad) with Vertex
handheld transceivers. I'm about to buy SOMETHING, but I'm not sure whether
or not I'm gonna stick with the standard ICOM.

thanks for any opinions.

jf

I used to have one. It didn't work very well. When it was eventually
stolen, I replaced it with an ICOM.
Old November 25th 04, 02:11 AM
Jim Weir

About 6 months ago, I had to make a corporate decision as to whether to carry
Vertex/Yaesu or Icom handhelds in the product line. After a hell of a lot of
work and research, I settled on Vertex. THe reasons would take me an hour to
lay out, so I won't.

Yaesu/Vertex is my choice.

Jim

"Jeff Franks"

-Just wondering if anyone here had experience (good or bad) with Vertex
-handheld transceivers. I'm about to buy SOMETHING, but I'm not sure whether
-or not I'm gonna stick with the standard ICOM.
-
-thanks for any opinions.
-
-jf
-
-

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old November 25th 04, 04:11 AM
TaxSrv

"Jim Weir" wrote:
About 6 months ago, I had to make a corporate decision as to

whether to carry
Vertex/Yaesu or Icom handhelds in the product line. After a hell of

a lot of
work and research, I settled on Vertex. THe reasons would take me

an hour to
lay out, so I won't.

Yaesu/Vertex is my choice.

I like my Yaesu also, but mainly due to its compactness. But its
compactness means a tiny speaker for less audio capability, and its
almost "5W of peak envelope power" for transmit is misleading. A
battered old Narco, brick-sized handheld I have (HT-8xx series, and
with more battery power) has nice, loud audio, and though spec'd at
minimum 1.5W of carrier transmit power, mine measures almost twice
that on most of the band, and significantly more than the carrier
power of the Yaesu. It's the one I prefer to toss in the airplane for
backup, whereas the Yaesu is just fine for airport bumming to
eavesdrop on communications and occasionally needling certain people
on unicom.

Fred F.

Old November 25th 04, 11:43 AM
Cub Driver

Just wondering if anyone here had experience (good or bad) with Vertex
handheld transceivers. I'm about to buy SOMETHING, but I'm not sure whether
or not I'm gonna stick with the standard ICOM.

I've been happy with my Vertex. Right now I'm having problems with its
picking up interference with my Garmin 296; I haven't resolved this
yet, and don't know if it would be better with a different handheld.
(I didn't experience this phenom with my Garmin III+.) On my most
recent flight, I finally turned off the radio while en route, and
turned off the GPS while landing.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
the blog www.danford.net
Old November 25th 04, 11:45 AM
Cub Driver

haven't looked at any Vertex aviation radios, but I think the engineering
approach is going to be very similar to the unit I have. At any rate, those
are some features and characteristics of the radios that stand out.

I owned a Yaseu handheld for two years and then bought a Vertex for
its higher rated output (5w as against 3w). The units are identical in
every respect.