Help - I busted into the Class B SEATAC airspace last night, does anyone have any advice ?

Old October 23rd 03, 04:28 PM
steve mew

Default Help - I busted into the Class B SEATAC airspace last night, does anyone have any advice ?

Does anyone have any advice on how I should handle an airspace violation ?
Whats t he procedure and what are the penalties. It was a first time
offense. Here is what I wrote in the NASA Aviation Safety Reporting Form :

A VFR flight was planned in depth with 4 waypoints from KBFI to KPDX. There
were 3 on board (2 Passengers, and Pilot - who filed this report). The
detail of the flight plan included accurate compass vectors, waypoint ETA's
with VOR radials as backup. 1-800 WX BRIEF was called for a weather briefing
and a flight plan was filed approx 10 mintes before the flight. The Aircraft
was equiped for IR flight and had a moving map GPS unit. Takeoff was at 0847
PST from Runway 13L.
Just after take off the pilot opened the flight plan and then experienced
high load conditions due to night lighting and moderate turbulence and wind
shear. A Class B incursion occured, due to load and fixation from several
distractive factors :

1. Turbulence and Wind Shear : Trying to keep the aircraft straight and
level due to turbulent conditions caused loss of awareness of the flight
path.
2. A rear seat passenger was distracting the pilot with a headset
malfunction.
3. The pilot was inexperienced - 115 Hrs Total Time and limited hours at
night although was night current.
4. Deviation from the flight plan. It was intended to originally take the
Vashon Westbound departure but decided on take off to take the Southbound
Departure that was unfamiliar.

2 minutes into the flight the pilot lost spacial awareness and became
disoriented. Concerned that the Aircraft was getting close to the SEATAC
airspace or Renton Airport airspace the pilot took evaisive action and
dumped height to get below 1100 instinctively feeling this was a safe level
in the area. The intention at this point was to return to a path that was
familiar (The Vashon Departure) It was at this point that the Pilot realized
that the aircraft infact was much further south that previously thought. A
visual scan externally confirmed this as an aircraft on finals for SEATAC
was off the starboard side at 3 o'clock approximately 1nm. Further evasive
action was taken by steering at high bank northbound to avoid crossing the
SEATAC centerline in order to avoid the ILS cooridoor.
Shortly afterward the pilot changed to a westerly course to attempt to
intercept the vashon westbound departure that was familiar to him in an
effort to regain spacial awareness. After changing to a westerly path KBFI
tower made contact and requested that in future to notify them of any
departure deviation. The aircraft continued over the shoreline into the
Puget Sound where the turbulence stopped and smooth flight conditions
returned.

At this point a decision was made to terminate the flight and return to
KBFI. A landing was made on the long runway 13R. After landing the Tower
notified the pilot that a telephone call was needed to SEATAC on 206 768
2852.

Chain of Events :

1. In planning the flight in the afternoon it was known that the daytime
weather was IFR. The forecast for take off was VFR but close to minimums and
turbulent.
2. A deviation from the intended westbound departure was made.
3. An unfamiliar departure was flown.
4. Distraction from the rear passenger due to their faulty headset.
5. Evasive actions were taken.
6. Recognizing that A) Incursion occured and B) the conditions were above
skill level the pilot elected to abort the flight and return to KBFI.

Human Performance Considerations :

1. Although licensed to fly in the weather condtitions the pilot was not
experienced to do so effectively.
2. Limited night experience.
3. Bad cockpit management of resources. A GPS unit with moving map
displaying the Class B boundaries was available but the zoom function was
set to a scope of limited use. A misinterpretation of the class B boundaries
was made.

Old October 23rd 03, 04:39 PM
Peter Gottlieb

Maybe this isn't the right thing to do but I would call them, listen to what
they have to say, then be very apologetic and explain what happened and that
you are taking steps to assure that it will not occur again.

If you haven't called them yet, call AOPA and ask advice (I have their legal
services plan and that may be required, I don't know).

Peter

Old October 23rd 03, 04:48 PM
John Clonts

steve mew wrote in message

At this point a decision was made to terminate the flight and return to
KBFI. A landing was made on the long runway 13R. After landing the Tower
notified the pilot that a telephone call was needed to SEATAC on 206 768
2852.

Did you call them? What did they say?

Old October 23rd 03, 04:48 PM
Ron Natalie

"steve mew" wrote in message ...
Does anyone have any advice on how I should handle an airspace violation ?
Whats t he procedure and what are the penalties. It was a first time
offense. Here is what I wrote in the NASA Aviation Safety Reporting Form :

General rule for FAA actions: Rule #1 Keep your mouth shut.

What did the tower say? Unless they need to cover their own butts
over a seperation problem that you caused, chances are nothing.
Except in the DC area these days, class B incursions are let slide all
the time.

Old October 23rd 03, 06:53 PM
Jeff

You did not call them as soon as you were on the ground?
They may not require anything of you and just want to inform you that you busted
their class B and so on. I have known people were told to call LAS for the same
reason, nothing came of it, no paper work done.
SEATAC may be more strict, but I would have called them upon landing to see
what they had to say.

Old October 23rd 03, 07:55 PM
Craig Prouse

Jeff wrote:

You did not call them as soon as you were on the ground?

That's an interesting reading of the post. How were you able to reach any
conclusion as to whether the author did or did not call?

[some snippage]
I would have called them upon landing to see what they had to say.

Yeah, when they tell you to call, it's a good idea to call.

He probably did call, and got to talk to the tower supervisor. That person
probably can't say at that exact moment whether or not they plan to pursue
an enforcement action, or whether the FSDO will follow up on it, or whether
it would be beneficial to hire a lawyer, or otherwise answer any number of
questions.

Old October 24th 03, 01:56 AM
steve mew

I did call and they were very understanding. As soon as I landed last night
Twr (118.3) gave me a phone number to call which I did. I 'fessed up and was
very appologetic as I was the idiot, no question. They said not to worry too
much about it as it does happen with low time pilots all the time.
Unfortunately due to the traffic load and new rules since 9/11 they have
filed paperwork but they did say that if the Investigation Board wants to
pursue it they will tell them that I was very cooperative and that I made a
genuine mistake and am very sorry. I did found out from the FAA this morning
that I set off TCAS on 2 big jets on finals - Ouch.!!! The Twr supervisor
has called me a couple of times today and has been really great, very
understanding and supportive. He is going to call again later to let me know
what the radar trace looks like.

Bottom line is I think I may get away with a warning letter and some
remedial work . However, if they do suspend my license, I will eat it up and
ask for an extra slice of humble pie for dessert. I have absolutely no
excuse, I knew better and I went against my own judgment. I knew it wasn't a
good idea to go and I went anyway, the biggest mistake a pilot can make. I
had a bad feeling on the ground and I chose to ignore it. It was gusting on
the field at 18kts for Petes sake !! What was I thinking ??. Winds aloft
were 33 kts @ 3000

It's been a wake up call. I have to say that I am very lucky to be on the
ground today as there were moments I wasn't sure we were going to make it
back to BFI.
I've got a 115 hours, half way through I.R. Part 141 and have become a bit
over confident and complacent. I have forgotten how really inexperienced low
time like this is. I am still learning and when I've got 5000 hrs I will
still be learning. The best pilots are the old pilots who've made it that
far. Not because they were Chuck Yeager's but becuse they knew their limits
and knew how to be safe. It's all about being safe.

Fly Safe Everyone (Please !!!)

steve mew

PS Thanks for all the responses and support !

Old October 24th 03, 02:14 AM
G.R. Patterson III

steve mew wrote:

.... the biggest mistake a pilot can make.

No, not the biggest. You're still alive. Hell, the plane isn't even damaged.

George Patterson
You can dress a hog in a tuxedo, but he still wants to roll in the mud.
Old October 24th 03, 02:27 AM
Maule Driver

"steve mew" wrote in message
It's been a wake up call. I have to say that I am very lucky to be on the
ground today as there were moments I wasn't sure we were going to make it
back to BFI.
I've got a 115 hours, half way through I.R. Part 141 and have become a bit
over confident and complacent. I have forgotten how really inexperienced

low
time like this is. I am still learning and when I've got 5000 hrs I will
still be learning. The best pilots are the old pilots who've made it that
far. Not because they were Chuck Yeager's but becuse they knew their

limits
and knew how to be safe. It's all about being safe.

I have a theory that says all pilots do something that scares the stuff out
of themselves at least once, but that we gain some humility and head
adjustments that are essential ingredients to a long flying life.

As someone will surely point out, this theory is deeply flawed and such
experiences are completely unnecessary...

Anyway, it doubly bad when you have an audience. Thanks for sharing and my
best wishes for a painless outcome. You already got what you need out of
it.

Old October 24th 03, 02:30 AM
BTIZ

should have called them already... might only have been a polite "arse
chewing".. but if you've delayed this long.. you may be getting a visit from
the local FSDO..

BT

news

?