Predator w/Sniper Rifle 2

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 17th 04, 07:05 PM
Dav1936531

Default Predator w/Sniper Rifle 2

Ok, from the previous thread, it sounds like the sniper rifle on the Predator
idea won't work. Too inaccurate from long range, and to dangerous to pull the
Predator in range for a more accurate shot.

Also, someone mentioned that a laser might work due to its accuracy, however,
blinding and maiming lasers are against the law.

I do not believe that it is, however, against the law to shoot lasers at enemy
equipment (correct me if this is in error).

So, if we could develope a laser that could detonate an RPG warhead from a
distance, we might have a good solution.

Three or four jihadis standing there, two with AK's and one with an RPG, laser
lines up on the RPG warhead, fires, explodes the warhead,
and......STEEEERIKE.....all three jihadis are out of commision.

Now, the jihadis seem to carry RPG warheads in one of three ways. 1) They have
one chucked up in the launcher which they are toting either over their shoulder
or have on a shoulder sling. 2) They have the extra warheads in a little
backpack with the explosive part of the warhead sticking up right behind their
head (this will certainly make a mess should it "accidently" go off in that
position). And 3) they wear them slung like pirates with a saber by sticking
them in a belt around their waists.

I also saw pics out of Afghanistan of Taliban riding in the backs of Toyota
pickups wherein they had clusters of RPG rockets tied in bundles (which were
pointed warhead up) right behind the truck's cab.

In all modes, the warheads are exposed to a direct shot by laser.

If such a system could be developed and fielded on a UAV, and loiter missions
could destroy 10-15 RPG launchers per mission, this might be a valuable system.
Dave