The Latest Sport Aviation has a WHAT on the cover?

Old February 29th 08, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Vaughn Simon

Default The Latest Sport Aviation has a WHAT on the cover?

"Reggie" wrote in message
Does anyone recall ANY experimental aeroplane built by the current
leader of the Experimental Aircraft Association????

The organization's name is Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA), not
Homebuilt Aviation Association (HAA). Your point in regards to our
second-generation President may be well taken, I don't recall him having the
aviation background to match his father's; but there is more to experimental
aviation than homebuilding. Classics, warbirds & Light Sport should come
quickly to mind, but did you know that many gliders are registered Experimental
even though they may be factory made? Perhaps that is why many of the glider
pilots I have met over the years are members of the EAA, even though they get
precious little coverage in the EAA magizine.

To me, the EAA has always represented the "little guy" in aviation better and
more directly than any other organization.

Vaughn

Old March 1st 08, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

"Vaughn Simon" wrote in message

"Reggie" wrote in message
[...]

Vaughn:
I'm missing something. How does the word Experimental tie into Warbirds,
Classics, and Light Sport? What category do the factory built
"Experimental" gliders fall under? Exhibition?
It seems to me that EAA is really flying under false colors. A more
representative name eludes me but it sure wouldn't be Experimental based on
what I see in the magazine and the EAA video from Oshkosh as well as the
focus every year at show center. Indeed one year the EAA video did not even
mention the award winners, but did have Mooneys and Beechcraft aircraft
shown.
I do agree that EAA does the best job in defending us from our "Elected"
Representatives and because of that reason alone I maintain my membership.

Stu

Old March 1st 08, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

"Scott" wrote in message
.. .
I didn't mind the old Experimenter, but when the name and content changed
to Light Sport, they lost me...

Scott

That precisely summed up my reaction as well.

Peter

Old March 1st 08, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Wayne Paul

"Reggie" wrote in message
[...]

I believe that the main categories of "Experimental" airworthiness
certificates are Exhibition, Air Racing, Amateur built, Market Survey -
sales demonstration, research and development. I don't believe that Light
Sport is part of this system.

"War Birds" fall in Exhibition and/or Air Racing as do many competition
sailplanes. R&D/Market Survey are normally pre-production version of
aircraft intended for standard airworthiness certificates. Of course
classic/antique aircraft must be maintained in accordance with their
standard airworthiness certificate.

Even though the EAA was instrumental as a lobbying agency for the Light
Sports Aircraft and the transition of ultra-light aircraft to the light
sport category; light sports aviation's birth has been completed and is
live, well and growingl. The successful growth of LSA is no longer
dependant on the EAA.

It would appear to me that the EAA should return to a balance between
Exhibition, Air Racing, Amateur Built, and classic/antique. Isn't this the
organizations legacy? I also believe it is the organizations future.

Wayne
HP-14 N990
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

Old March 1st 08, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

To me, the EAA has always represented the "little guy" in aviation better
and more directly than any other organization.

Vaughn

Very true, and they still do a decent job of it.

In addition, the chapters continue to accomplish a lot of the tasks that
fell to the magazines before there were so many chapters.

Peter

Old March 1st 08, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

.. .

"Reggie" wrote in message
[...]

I believe that you are missing two things:

1) Amateur Built is only the largest, and possibly the best known, sub
category of Experimental. IIRC, most of the the warbirds fall into
Exhibition. But, AFAIK, just about anything that is permitted to fly, and
does not quite fit any other category, is likely to be Experimental.

2) The chapters are a very big part of the EAA, and are home to a lot of
assistance and expertise--in addition to plain old encouragement and
comaraderie. They can also provide linkage to a lot of "home office"
expertise--and many maintain libraries of back issues and caches of tools,
clecos, etc.

BTW, there are also chapters of the IAC (International Aerobatic Club) and
also Warbird chapters which are also part of EAA, but not part of the basic
EAA chapter list.

So the "broader audience" part is far from being the whole story!

Peter

Old March 1st 08, 11:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Scott[_1_]

I missed something (probably obvious), but what do Classics, warbirds
and (some LSA) have to do with "experimental" per se? My take is that
an experimental (amateur built) plane is defined as one BUILT by the
owner for educational purposes. It would be nice to have an
organizational leader who has built an experimental amateur built
airplane, but it isn't absolutely necessary for leading an organization
of experimental amateur builders...

Scott

--
Scott
http://corbenflyer.tripod.com/
Old March 6th 08, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
John[_9_]

On Feb 26, 10:33*pm, "Kyle Boatright" wrote:
A Cirrus? *You gotta be kidding me.

I know, this is a quarterly topic for discussion, but I swear, EAA is
becoming AOPA. *I guess it pays better or something. *When was the last
warbird article in Sport Aviation? *OK, how 'bout the last restoration of an
antique by the owner (not by someone who wrote a bunch of checks).

Very disappointing.

It's worse than the cover there is an entire article on flying the
Cirrus. I understand that they are offering one as a prize but I
don't remember flight reports for the Cessnas, Pipers and Huskys they
used to offer. I am sure they look kindly on Cirrus because of its
roots in Homebuilding but I dare you to find any mention of
homebuilding or kitplanes on the Cirrus website.

On page 83 is one photo and a paragraph describing a PA-12 that took
Reserve Grand Champion in the Seaplane category last year. I remember
that after Oshkosh there would be one issue devoted almost fully to
the show and then over the next year each Grand and Reserve Champion
in the major categories (Homebuilt, Kitbuilt, Warbird, Antique and
Classic) got a full length article. That would be enough articles to
put more than one in every issue till the next show. I haven't seen
that in some time.

I still support EAA and look forward to the day I can start building a
Pober Super Ace with a Moravia in line four engine. I think that EAA
does combine enough disparate groups that would not receive near the
attention they can as part of this organization.

I will send essentially a copy of this post to the EAA this weekend.

John Dupre'
Old March 10th 08, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Highflyer

"Reggie" wrote in message
Does anyone recall ANY experimental aeroplane built by the current
leader of the Experimental Aircraft Association????

The organization's name is Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA), not
Homebuilt Aviation Association (HAA). snip

Homebuilt Aviation Association was considered back in 1953 when the name was
adopted. The "nameing" committee settled upon the "Experimental" Aviation
Association, since all homebuilt aircraft were licensed in a category of the
experimental classification that was created by the FAA especially for us.
That category is "Experimental - Amateur Built" and is what made the EAA
possible. Only "homebuilt" aircraft are eligible for certification in t his
special category. Warbirds and Classics are not.

Highflyer, EAA#9135

Old March 17th 08, 08:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bret Ludwig

On Feb 28, 5:36 pm, "Vaughn Simon"
wrote:
"Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote in messagenews:NsGdnZsLjud3bFvanZ2dnUVZ_u6rnZ2d@iwvis p.com...

The problem that I see is that any time you try to be something for everybody
you end up with something that is kind nothing for anyone. Same with the
magazine.

I don't put the EAA magazine in that category, and never have. It is a
magazine that seems pointed directly at the center of gravity of the EAA
membership. Judging from the volume of ad copy, the folks who really matter
(the advertisers) agree. For decades, it has been one of the first magazines
that I pick up every month. The only Aviation magazine that regularly beats it
(in terms of my personal interest) is "Air & Space". That said, I agree that it
is no airplane homebuilding magazine, and perhaps EAA needs to adjust its mix of
specialty publications.

As publisher/editor of Experimental Helo magazine we are very aware of this
trap and have focussed our efforts.

Which must be why EAA has a mix of 5 focused magazines in addition to "Sport
Aviation".

Vaughn

Which is why I quit EAA. You had to join them at expense and then join
the subgroup at more expense to get the other ones. All amateur
written and edited pubs too and often not very readable.

The EAA is the Poberezny Family Endeavor pure and simple.. I agree
they do SOME good but they are not terribly cost effective IMO. Except
at enriching themselves.