208 Caravan down

Old January 24th 06, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default 208 Caravan down

A Cessna 208 Caravan crashed on Vancouver Island near the town of Port
Alberni killing the pilot and Two passangers. According to the local news
the pilot had radioed a Mayday declaring that he had an engine failure and
was going to attempt a dead-stick landing on a logging road but he didn't
make it and the plane crashed at a 60 degree nose down attitude. The pilot
was 25 years old. At this time I don't know how many hours he had.

Here is a link

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...essna_bc_plane
_crash_060122/20060122?hub=TopStories

Five passengers did survive including a young child.

My condolences to the familys of the dead and I hope a speedy recovery to
those that survived.

Old January 24th 06, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

soon to be student wrote:

Here is a link

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...essna_bc_plane
_crash_060122/20060122?hub=TopStories

Here's a shortened version of it:

http://tinyurl.com/bskks

--
Peter
Old January 24th 06, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

There is no reason why an engine failure should make the
airplane assume a 60 degree nose down attitude, the pilot
screwed up if that is true. The PT6 will auto-feather if
the engine quits and the glide is very good.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

Old January 24th 06, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article wkwBf.324316$2k.72163@pd7tw1no,
"soon to be student" wrote:

A Cessna 208 Caravan crashed on Vancouver Island near the town of Port
Alberni killing the pilot and Two passangers. According to the local news
the pilot had radioed a Mayday declaring that he had an engine failure and
was going to attempt a dead-stick landing on a logging road but he didn't
make it and the plane crashed at a 60 degree nose down attitude. The pilot
was 25 years old. At this time I don't know how many hours he had.

60-degrees nose down indicates to me that he may have stalled it.
Old January 24th 06, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"soon to be student" wrote:

A Cessna 208 Caravan crashed on Vancouver Island near the town of Port
Alberni killing the pilot and Two passangers. According to the local news
the pilot had radioed a Mayday declaring that he had an engine failure
and
was going to attempt a dead-stick landing on a logging road but he didn't
make it and the plane crashed at a 60 degree nose down attitude. The
pilot
was 25 years old. At this time I don't know how many hours he had.

60-degrees nose down indicates to me that he may have stalled it.

Or, landed in trees (which the article I read suggested). The angle after
everything stops wouldn't have much to do with the angle at which he touched
down in the tree tops.

I suspect that if he had stalled and hit solid ground at a 60 degree angle,
there would be 8 dead, not 3.

A sad event in any case.

--
Geoff
the sea hawk at wow way d0t com

Old January 24th 06, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
There is no reason why an engine failure should make the
airplane assume a 60 degree nose down attitude, the pilot
screwed up if that is true. The PT6 will auto-feather if
the engine quits and the glide is very good.

My thought were that there should be no survivors, if the plane impacted at
a 60 degree angle, and after reading the account, I'll stick by that. The
article said that the plane ended up in a 60 degree nose down attitude. It
did not say how it impacted. Is it possible that it hit somewhat level,
then slid, or went down an embankment, or something like that?
--
Jim in NC

Old January 25th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Yes, did not look at it at all. My comment was based solely
on the 60 degree angle as posted.

Old January 25th 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I'd agree to that, an impact angle greater than 15 degrees
is almost always fatal.