Hotlanta

Old May 20th 04, 06:55 PM
Hankal

Default Hotlanta

I am contemplating a flight form Venice KVNC to Atlanta with a fuel stop at
KLCQ Lake City, or close to it depending on fuel prices.
Do not want to go into the big airport in Atlanta. Any one have comments on
airports near Atlanta within Taxi cab distance.
Thanks
Old May 20th 04, 11:02 PM
John B

If you want to land close to downtown, you've basically got two
options (short of Hartsfield, which I would _definitely_ avoid unless
you specifically need to land there). The first is Peachtree-Dekalb
airport (PDK), on the NE side of town, it's the busiest GA airport,
and then Fulton County (FTY) on the west side of town, which is a
little less busy. PDK is probably a little closer to downtown, and is
very close to a MARTA line (rapid transit) that takes you straight
downtown for less than a cab. It all depends on specifically where
you want to go, but they're both good airports. The trick is getting
to them from the south side, since Hartsfield (ATL) is right in your
way. If you file IFR and can be comming up V97 to ATL, then often
you'll get to fly right over the top of Hartsfield at 5000 and then
decend over the city to land at your airport. That's by far the most
scenic route, but they don't always do that if they're busy.
Departing you'll almost certainly have to go around ATL, but if you
file IFR then you don't have to worry about staying outside the Class
B. There is no VFR corridor through the Class B like at some other
places, but you can sometimes get them to let you fly the same route
over the top of ATL when VFR if you are around 5500' and sound like
you know what you're doing when you ask.

Hope that helps,
John Bumgarner

Old May 21st 04, 12:23 AM
Hankal

but you can sometimes get them to let you fly the same route
over the top of ATL when VFR if you are around 5500' and sound like
you know what you're doing when you ask.

Thank you for the information.
I plan to file IFR both ways. You guys get thunderboomers there in the
afternoon, like we get here in Florida?
Old May 21st 04, 01:58 AM
Mike H

First let me 'second' John's excellent information..

Next.. Yes, we definitely get some pretty good thunderboomers
in this area. We're just starting into the season now. As in
Fla, flying in the morning is the best way to avoid them. The
boomers here are not quite as bad as in Fla (I lived there for
25+ years) but definitely ar to be avoided.

Mike PA28-181 N44979 at RYY