flying in France

Old January 10th 06, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default flying in France

We are planning a 3 week vacation to France in September
of 2006. For the course of at least one week, we will
be staying at a villa in the vicinity of Figeac, in
the south central region. As part of this trip, I
would very much like to get a little flying in, even
if only with an instructor. Can anyone kindly send
me a list or a source of sailplane operations where
I might fly during my visit, the closer to Figeac,
the better, or suggest places they have flown themselves?
If there sites in the vicinity of Paris, I would like
to know about them as well. Some of the sites that
I am aware of; Sisteron, St. Auban, and Fayence, are
too far away to work in as an excursion.

I have attempted writing the FFVV but have not received
a reply. Other web searches have proved not very fruitful.

Old January 10th 06, 09:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Peter Beecher wrote:
if only with an instructor. Can anyone kindly send
me a list or a source of sailplane operations where
I might fly during my visit, the closer to Figeac,
the better, or suggest places they have flown themselves?

You could try Montpellier Pic saint Loup, it is not that far from
Figeac, i think, and they have good flying conditions (ridge flying
which works almost all days of the year, a lot of modern gliders).

http://cvvm.free.fr/index/index.html

--

Michel TALON

Old January 10th 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Peter Beecher wrote:
We are planning a 3 week vacation to France in September
of 2006. For the course of at least one week, we will
be staying at a villa in the vicinity of Figeac, in
the south central region. As part of this trip, I
would very much like to get a little flying in, even
if only with an instructor. Can anyone kindly send
me a list or a source of sailplane operations where
I might fly during my visit, the closer to Figeac,
the better, or suggest places they have flown themselves?
If there sites in the vicinity of Paris, I would like
to know about them as well. Some of the sites that
I am aware of; Sisteron, St. Auban, and Fayence, are
too far away to work in as an excursion.

I have attempted writing the FFVV but have not received
a reply. Other web searches have proved not very fruitful.

Peter,
In the early '80's I was sent to France by Michelin. I lived in
Claremont Ferrand. I joinded a glider club in Issoire, in the provence
of Auvergne. Issoire is about 20 miles south of Claremont. The club
was very friendly, had a Bijave, 2 place wooden glider and an SF28
motorglider.
Good Luck
Paul

Old January 11th 06, 05:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I just came back from a month of soaring in France myself, and I can't
wait to go back! I went to Fayence, but I know that is too far for
you. If you hope to fly without an instructor, you must first get a
permit from the French government. This technically only takes about
one month, but that assumes that you send them everything they need on
the first try, and they only correspond through regular mail. It was
worth the hassle for me, and I got to do some great soaring in
Provence! Wherever you choose to go soar, ask them for help in getting
your French Pilot Permit. Bon Voyage!

-Chris

Old January 13th 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Peter Beecher a écrit:

If there sites in the vicinity of Paris, I would like
to know about them as well.

The nearest glider site from Paris is Beynes, only 30km (20miles) west
from Paris. You will find here 4 training two seaters (ASK21), and a lot
of training and performance single seaters (from ASK23 to LS6-18W). A
lot of people, and many instructors, speak English.
have a look at : http://www.cab.asso.fr/ (click on "accès" for a map,
and "nos planeurs" for pics of our gliders!)

Old January 13th 06, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

jerome wrote:

Peter Beecher a écrit:

If there sites in the vicinity of Paris, I would like
to know about them as well.

The nearest glider site from Paris is Beynes, only 30km (20miles) west

This is true but sites near Paris are rarely usable to fly in winter!

Old January 13th 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Michel Talon a écrit:
jerome wrote:

Peter Beecher a écrit:

If there sites in the vicinity of Paris, I would like
to know about them as well.

The nearest glider site from Paris is Beynes, only 30km (20miles) west

This is true but sites near Paris are rarely usable to fly in winter!

Yes, but the question was for September (which, as northern as Paris
can be, is still not yet winter!)

Old January 13th 06, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

jerome wrote:

Yes, but the question was for September (which, as northern as Paris
can be, is still not yet winter!)

OK, but even September (at least end of September) is no big joy.

--

Michel TALON