Landing on one wheel

Old March 18th 08, 10:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ol Shy & Bashful

Default Landing on one wheel

This is fun stiring the pot! OK ...how many of you practice doing a
one wheel touch and go from time to time. And I don't mean by
accident.
I did it all the time with tailwheel students, and still do it with
students in 172's. We frequently get winds that are 15 G25 90 to the
runway and topography that makes the winds squirrly as hell on the
west end. Learning good crosswind techniques are vital.
I recognize different techniques are needed for different aircraft
with wing clearance, etc but I still did them with lots of different
low wing aircraft like Piper Pawnee, Cessna Ag Husky, Ag Cat,
Stearman, Thrush and so on.
Ol S&B
Old March 18th 08, 11:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Denny

Used to do that with my T-Craft... Land on one wheel, hop gently over
to the other wheel without having both touch, and back and forth,
finally add power and go around when out of runway... Simpler times...
I used to fly for $2.90 an hour, gas and oil....

denny
Old March 18th 08, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Ol Shy & Bashful wrote:
This is fun stiring the pot! OK ...how many of you practice doing a
one wheel touch and go from time to time. And I don't mean by
accident.
I did it all the time with tailwheel students, and still do it with
students in 172's. We frequently get winds that are 15 G25 90 to the
runway and topography that makes the winds squirrly as hell on the
west end. Learning good crosswind techniques are vital.
I recognize different techniques are needed for different aircraft
with wing clearance, etc but I still did them with lots of different
low wing aircraft like Piper Pawnee, Cessna Ag Husky, Ag Cat,
Stearman, Thrush and so on.
Ol S&B

We had occasion one time to loan Miss America to Bob Hoover to use for
his demonstration. His P51 had been damaged in a forced landing the day
before. The only stipulation we placed on his use of the airplane was
that he not do any one wheel landings. It was strongly felt by all of us
that these "landings" if not directly, at least have a strong potential
to place undue stress on the main gear leg and attach points where the
wheel meets the axle.
True, this was our personal choice, but I would still feel this way today.
I've never actually asked Bob to clarify the issue by disclosing if he
ever had maintanence done on the main gear oleos on his 51, so to be
fair, it was then and is as I write this an open issue and simply a
matter of opinion.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old March 18th 08, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Ol Shy & Bashful wrote:
This is fun stiring the pot! OK ...how many of you practice doing a
one wheel touch and go from time to time. And I don't mean by
accident.
I did it all the time with tailwheel students, and still do it with
students in 172's. We frequently get winds that are 15 G25 90 to the
runway and topography that makes the winds squirrly as hell on the
west end. Learning good crosswind techniques are vital.
I recognize different techniques are needed for different aircraft
with wing clearance, etc but I still did them with lots of different
low wing aircraft like Piper Pawnee, Cessna Ag Husky, Ag Cat,
Stearman, Thrush and so on.
Ol S&B

Well, I always use the slip approach method so if whatever it takes
to stay on the center line results in a one wheel landing, that's
what happens.

I never considered it to be anything special.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old March 18th 08, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Mar 18, 8:04 am, Dudley Henriques wrote:
Ol Shy & Bashful wrote: This is fun stiring the pot! OK ...how many of you practice doing a
[...]

Pretty hard to damage the gear on a Citabria doing that.
They're stout, to withstand the abuses of the novice. I've done the
one-wheel thing with students in the past, students who are having
trouble transitioning to the taildragger. The one-wheel touch-and-go
teaches them to fly the airplane ALL the time, not just until
touchdown like they tend to do in a trike. It also develops strong
crosswind skills. After that, they're careful in trikes, too, since
now they know that the airplane really isn't finished flying until
it's tied down. Every so often you hear of another 172 or something
that came to grief after the pilot made a successful touchdown, only
to lose it in the rollout.

Dan
Old March 18th 08, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

The argument for practicing one wheel landings as a teaching tool can
indeed be made and the technique is not a new concept for instructors
dealing with tail wheel instruction.

The spring type one piece main gear legs are as you say much better
suited to taking any side loads that might be imposed then an oleo leg.
In this scenario, the principal negative is excessive tire wear due to
scrubbing.

It's a toss up really. If monitored closely by the instructor, it most
certainly can be done without serious incident.
I would say that I personally have not used this technique in teaching
tail wheel students having found it unnecessary to do so.

I should say that I have stood facing down a runway while doing safety
work at air shows and watched this being done by pilots who were
experiencing what I would easily classify as excessive and damaging side
loads placed on their main gear as touchdowns were made cross controlled
but WAY off the required correction for the existing wind conditions.

I've used the technique myself doing comedy acts in Citabrias and
Decathlons both. I was a fair stick (on ccasion anyway :-) and I've
stressed a tire or two and felt that "spring released force" myself on
occasion as a sudden wind shift screwed up my carefully planned out one
wheel landing :-))

--
Dudley Henriques
Old March 18th 08, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Phil J

On Mar 18, 5:26*am, "Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote:
This is fun stiring the pot! OK ...how many of you practice doing a
one wheel touch and go from time to time. And I don't mean by
accident.
I did it all the time with tailwheel students, and still do it with
students in 172's. We frequently get winds that are 15 G25 90 to the
runway and topography that makes the winds squirrly as hell on the
west end. Learning good crosswind techniques are vital.
I recognize different techniques are needed for different aircraft
with wing clearance, etc but I still did them with lots of different
low wing aircraft like Piper Pawnee, Cessna Ag Husky, Ag Cat,
Stearman, Thrush and so on.
Ol S&B

I have yet to do it on purpose, but I would like to!

Phil
Old March 18th 08, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Ol Shy & Bashful wrote:
This is fun stiring the pot! OK ...how many of you practice doing a
one wheel touch and go from time to time. And I don't mean by
accident.

A friend of mine got a nasty surprise when he tried this on a dirt strip a
few years back. I had already landed and was shooting some video of him
doing one-wheel T&Gs in his 182. After 4 of these (2 on each wheel) he
landed. When I looked at the outboard leading edge of the elevator, there
was a hole showing. Seems the dirt and pebbles coming off the main gear shot
straight back to the elevator and sandblasted a hole in the thin material
(can't remember if it was thin metal or plastic).

Fortunately, he had some 200 Kt. metalized duct tape on hand to get him
home.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old March 18th 08, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

john smith wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote:
The spring type one piece main gear legs are as you say much better
suited to taking any side loads that might be imposed then an oleo leg.
In this scenario, the principal negative is excessive tire wear due to
scrubbing.

Ah! But what about the wheelpants? :-))

My guess would be that if a pilot is catching a pant while attempting a
one wheel landing, that pilot is in wind WAY over their head :-))))

--
Dudley Henriques
Old March 18th 08, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Mar 18, 2:53 pm, Dudley Henriques wrote:
john smith wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote:
The spring type one piece main gear legs are as you say much better
suited to taking any side loads that might be imposed then an oleo leg.
In this scenario, the principal negative is excessive tire wear due to
scrubbing.

Ah! But what about the wheelpants? :-))

My guess would be that if a pilot is catching a pant while attempting a
one wheel landing, that pilot is in wind WAY over their head :-))))

--
Dudley Henriques

Might explain the Lufthansa incident....

;-)

A Jet Blue Aircraft Landing with Sideway Landing-Gear Lufthansi Piloting 18 July 19th 06 05:13 AM
A Jet Blue Aircraft Landing with Sideway Landing-Gear Hansi Instrument Flight Rules 1 July 17th 06 04:01 AM
THE WHEEL Grantland Military Aviation 0 August 5th 04 07:24 PM
Wheel pants for 6.00 x 6 wheel/tire Wallace Berry Home Built 2 January 23rd 04 04:22 AM
VW-1 C-121J landing with unlocked nose wheel Mel Davidow LT USNR Ret Military Aviation 1 January 19th 04 05:22 AM