Q: What can a Commercial Helicopter Pilot Licence holder expect to earn?

Old October 20th 03, 03:45 AM
dharakos

I think 'Ops' has got it fairly wrong. In the large, Australian
operators maintain excellent records and safe machines (as is required
by law).

--
dharakos
- A website for Australian Pilots regardless of when, why, or what they fly -

Old October 20th 03, 09:03 AM
ops

dharakos wrote:
I think 'Ops' has got it fairly wrong. In the large, Australian
operators maintain excellent records and safe machines (as is required
by law).

--
dharakos
- A website for Australian Pilots regardless of when, why, or what they fly -

No I queried the statement below by Chopper Jon2.

The R22 which had a blade failure in Queensland is the one that comes
to mind which the hours were not recorded correctly and in doing so the
R22 main rotor blade incurred a fatigue-related in-flight separation
failure. http://www.atsb.gov.au/aviation/occu...ail.cfm?ID=294

.................................................. .............................

ChopperJon2 wrote:

I would'nt fly a helicopter in Australia if i was you. They do not

keep track
of hours in use, which determines a maintenance schedule. Come to the usa
Pompano Helicopters

I beg your pardon!

And don't just quote one accident report from station properties.

Whats your reasons for the statement?

Old October 20th 03, 11:29 AM
dharakos

Oops, sorry Ops - I actually meant that the person making the blanket
statement that Australian operators don't record times was wrong. Sorry
got the names a bit mixed!

ops wrote:
*dharakos wrote:
I think 'Ops' has got it fairly wrong. In the large, Australian
operators maintain excellent records and safe machines (as is

required
by law).

--
dharakos

- A website for Australian Pilots regardless of when, why, or what

they fly -

No I queried the statement below by Chopper Jon2.

The R22 which had a blade failure in Queensland is the one that
comes
to mind which the hours were not recorded correctly and in doing so
the
R22 main rotor blade incurred a fatigue-related in-flight separation
failure. http://tinyurl.com/rkl9

.................................................. .............................

ChopperJon2 wrote:

I would'nt fly a helicopter in Australia if i was you. They do not

keep track
of hours in use, which determines a maintenance schedule. Come to

the usa
Pompano Helicopters

I beg your pardon!

And don't just quote one accident report from station properties.

Whats your reasons for the statement?

r *

Old October 25th 03, 01:16 PM
studentpilot

Someone with a bare commercial licence usually has to pay to get work.
Most of the big training organizations are churning out keen people who
will work for nothing. Vitually nobody will employ a bare comm. In days
gone by mustering used to be the way to log a few hours, now most think
you have to have a degree in cows (Jackaroo or something similar). If
you do snag a job mustering, expect to work big hours in crap
conditions (or rustic rural life, don't expect to get fat). There are
heaps of operators out there who just want cheap labour.

The only resonable paid employment is aeromedical or Gov. type jobs.
These only employ folks with a few hours 3000+, and still don't get big
$, and while there are blokes coming out of the military, they don't
hire many from GA.

The other work is firetime, around 5 months work 1 year in 4, Then the
rest of the time wash cars and serve hamburgers. Fixedwing is probebly
worse, with more young people traveling the country looking for work.
There are people working for $200 a week and doing 60 hours and 7 days,
just to get time. With the domestic Airlines going backwards and GA
stagnating there won't be any hope for the next 20 years.

Sounds rather pessimistic but thats life in GA .

--
studentpilot
- A website for Australian Pilots regardless of when, why, or what they fly -

Old November 15th 03, 01:46 AM
John Roncallo

studentpilot wrote:

[...]

I dont think of it being all that bad. I between me and my daugter we
will be spending $65,000 US over the next 4 years to send my daughter to
Collage. In those 4 years she will be making zero or minimal. With about
$50,000 US, within one year, you could be instructing in a helicopter
for about $20/billed hour or about $8/equivalent working hour. That
leaves you with 3 years of working (or should I call it continued
education) with $8/hour over the collage student. Choose your carear wisely.

John Roncallo