Turbo prop AT-6/SNJ?

Old August 20th 04, 01:43 PM
frank may

Default Turbo prop AT-6/SNJ?

Off & on over the years since turbo prop cropdusters (more politely,
ag-aircraft) have been being converted from radial engines to PT-6 or
Garret power, I've wondered if anyone has converted an AT-6/SNJ to a
turbo prop. Surely some well-to-do (or just eccentric) type has at
least considered it. Anyone ever hear of or see one?
Old August 20th 04, 02:53 PM
N329DF

no, since how do you improve on perfection ?

Old August 20th 04, 10:50 PM
Kevin Brooks

"frank may" wrote in message
om...
Off & on over the years since turbo prop cropdusters (more politely,
ag-aircraft) have been being converted from radial engines to PT-6 or
Garret power, I've wondered if anyone has converted an AT-6/SNJ to a
turbo prop. Surely some well-to-do (or just eccentric) type has at
least considered it. Anyone ever hear of or see one?

Hmmm. How many ag aircraft were *converted* to turbo power after aleady
being built as recip powered aircraft? I know that some of them have
undergone second production lives as turbo-powered aircraft, but has there
been any actual conversion of aircraf that were already flying?

Brooks

Old August 21st 04, 04:50 AM
MLenoch

I've wondered if anyone has converted an AT-6/SNJ to a
turbo prop.

Why would anyone do that? That snorting radial engine is half the fun of the
airplane.
VL
Old August 21st 04, 04:05 PM
frank may

I'd imagine that about 1/2 or so turbine ag planes have been
converted, maybe more. At least the ones I know of. Most of the
turbine AgCats I see have been converted. About 1/2 of the turbine Air
Tractors I see have been converted. OTOH, most of the turbine Thrushes
that I see are factory built, but they were doing that in the late
'70s. It's a lot cheaper to do a conversion to an airframe than to go
buy a new one.

om...

Old August 21st 04, 04:11 PM
frank may

Well, let's see. A turbine has been hung on the P-51D & someone
figured a Cessna 182 needed a non-fuel injected *******ized IO-520
hung on it. Beech 18s & DC-3s have been getting it done for years. I
didn't say anything about 'improving perfection'. I do understand the
improved reliability & other benefits of a turbine, tho. IIRC, Taiwan
had a turbo prop trainer that's essentially a T-28 with a Lycoming
T-55 turbo prop on it.

Old August 21st 04, 10:34 PM
MLenoch

Well, let's see. A turbine has been hung on the P-51D

None of these are flying today........why?
VL
Old August 22nd 04, 04:41 PM
frank may

Nope, no Turbo Mustangs, but quite a few DC-3s & Beech 18s with
turbines are, IIRC. I guess no Turbo Mustangs are around since the
military never pursued them. Which brings up another point. That
new-fangled homebuilt composite Mustang look-a-like with a Lycoming
T-55 (I think). That's almost expensive as buying a real P-51, isn't
it?

Old August 22nd 04, 05:02 PM
matheson31

in 1968 there was a turbine powered P-51 called the Cavalier Turbo Mustang
III http://cavaliermustang.tripod.com/intro.html (scroll down the page to
read about it).

It was later marketed as the Piper Enforcer
http://cavaliermustang.tripod.com/enforcer.html

--
Les Matheson
F-4C(WW)/D/E/G(WW), AC-130A, MC-130E WSO/EWO (ret)

om...

(MLenoch) wrote in message

Well, let's see. A turbine has been hung on the P-51D

None of these are flying today........why?
VL

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old August 22nd 04, 11:37 PM
MLenoch

in 1968 there was a turbine powered P-51 called the Cavalier Turbo Mustang
III

It was later marketed as the Piper Enforcer

The Cavalier and Enforcer are two entirely different airframes based on the
same general layout. No Cavalier Turbo Mustangs exist today, whilst the two
prototype Enforcers are still in existance.
VL

Right prop, wrong prop? Wood prop, metal prop? Gus Rasch Aerobatics 1 February 14th 08 11:18 PM
Ivo Prop on O-320 Dave S Home Built 14 October 15th 04 03:04 AM
Prop Pitch Question Eugene Wendland Home Built 2 April 25th 04 03:22 AM
IVO props... comments.. Dave S Home Built 16 December 7th 03 12:43 AM
Metal Prop vs. Wood Prop Larry Smith Home Built 21 September 26th 03 07:45 PM