X-wing

Old October 4th 07, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Big John

Default X-wing

Wonder who is going to fly this bird?

Two days before scheduled first flight.

Wonder if they will kit the bird?

Big John

http://www.polecataerospace.com/X-Wing.htm
Old October 4th 07, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Richard Isakson

"Big John" wrote in message
Wonder who is going to fly this bird?

Two days before scheduled first flight.

Wonder if they will kit the bird?

Big John

http://www.polecataerospace.com/X-Wing.htm

Hopefully he'll borrow Mollers tether for the flight.

Rich

Old October 5th 07, 12:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

Richard Isakson wrote:
"Big John" wrote in message

Wonder who is going to fly this bird?

Two days before scheduled first flight.

Wonder if they will kit the bird?

Big John

http://www.polecataerospace.com/X-Wing.htm

Hopefully he'll borrow Mollers tether for the flight.

Rich

Hi Big John!

Well, the downside...

I don't see much camber in those wings...
And with (very small) rockets for power I would expect a fairly
short duration - and low speeds.

So maybe not a Moller toy, but as far as flying it goes,
I'll wait for the film at 11.

Richard
Old October 5th 07, 04:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Steve Hix

In article ,
cavelamb himself wrote:

Richard Isakson wrote:
"Big John" wrote in message

Wonder who is going to fly this bird?

Two days before scheduled first flight.

Wonder if they will kit the bird?

Big John

http://www.polecataerospace.com/X-Wing.htm

Hopefully he'll borrow Mollers tether for the flight.

Rich

Hi Big John!

Well, the downside...

I don't see much camber in those wings...
And with (very small) rockets for power I would expect a fairly
short duration - and low speeds.

So maybe not a Moller toy, but as far as flying it goes,
I'll wait for the film at 11.

Knowing the Tripoli guys (and gals) this is going to be a large-scale
model rocket. One flight, straight up, and see how high it gets.

Not a man-rated flying machine.

Sounds like fun.
Old October 5th 07, 06:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

Steve Hix wrote:
In article ,
cavelamb himself wrote:

Richard Isakson wrote:

"Big John" wrote in message

Wonder who is going to fly this bird?

Two days before scheduled first flight.

Wonder if they will kit the bird?

Big John

http://www.polecataerospace.com/X-Wing.htm

Hopefully he'll borrow Mollers tether for the flight.

Rich

Hi Big John!

Well, the downside...

I don't see much camber in those wings...
And with (very small) rockets for power I would expect a fairly
short duration - and low speeds.

So maybe not a Moller toy, but as far as flying it goes,
I'll wait for the film at 11.

Knowing the Tripoli guys (and gals) this is going to be a large-scale
model rocket. One flight, straight up, and see how high it gets.

Not a man-rated flying machine.

Sounds like fun.

Now that makes more sense.
Old October 8th 07, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

Default X-wing FLYS.....and falls.

Let's just say the force wasn't with them.

Here's the video.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/boom/x+wi...air-307945.php

Old October 8th 07, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Dunno. It looks like the force was with them, but they weren't quiet ready
for the Force.

Old October 8th 07, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote in message
.. .
Dunno. It looks like the force was with them, but they weren't quiet
ready for the Force.

It is obvious that there was some kind of force with them, but it sure was
not a "rocket friendly" force! g

I thought that perhaps one engine ignited about 3/4th of a second late,
(visible on one the first few frames after takeoff) and also thought that it
was perhaps not aerodynamically stable. Maybe some lead in the nose, or a
little larger fins?
--
Jim in NC

Old October 9th 07, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan Nafe

In article ,
"Morgans" wrote:

"Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote in message
.. .
Dunno. It looks like the force was with them, but they weren't quiet
ready for the Force.

It is obvious that there was some kind of force with them, but it sure was
not a "rocket friendly" force! g

I thought that perhaps one engine ignited about 3/4th of a second late,
(visible on one the first few frames after takeoff) and also thought that it
was perhaps not aerodynamically stable. Maybe some lead in the nose, or a
little larger fins?

To be a Jedi, you have to master one Force,

To be an aviator, you have to master four forces.
Old October 9th 07, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Darrel Toepfer

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrote:

Let's just say the force wasn't with them.

Here's the video.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/boom/x+wi...sintegrates-mi
d+air-307945.php

Just needs more glue...