RV-8 crash

Old April 8th 04, 01:47 AM
mike regish

Even from 1000 feet?

If you can't make it back to the field from 1000 feet, hang up your ticket.

C'mon. It all depends on your altitude.

mike regish
(Turned back from 200 feet in an ultralight once...and still alive)

"Dennis O'Connor" wrote in message
You absolutely, flatly, cannot turn back and you will die if you try...
Now, I will not go into my usual tirade on this topic, however I expect

the
usual suspects to jump all over this with their claims of 'proof' that

they
tried it and they succeeded...
Sadly, some will read their garbage, tuck it away into their memory bank,
and for a few the day will come when they lose an engine on climb out and
they will turn back - and die...
denny

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in Odds are that the
aircraft had either stalled or developed a
very high sink rate before impact. At some point, that isn't

survivable.

Old April 8th 04, 01:48 AM
mike regish

What if there's a mountain straight ahead and a nice cornfield off to your
right.

It's a fluid situation and you have to flow with it.

mike regish

"Ryan" f wrote in message ...
Good point! Just "land" straight ahead - isnt that what you were trained

do??? It is amazing the number of people who honestly think a 180deg+
turnback is a better idea. Dennis - thanks for putting that out there.

Old April 8th 04, 02:02 AM
BTIZ

train turn backs at 200ft in a glider.. it is part of the PTS

BT

Old April 8th 04, 02:47 AM
Shirley

"BTIZ" btiznospm2 wrote:
train turn backs at 200ft in a glider..
it is part of the PTS

I was just going to say that ... simulated rope break at 200 feet with
turn-back and downwind landing prior to solo. And part of the (glider) training
is to be watching and to call out *200-feet* when we pass it on every tow. Some
instructors even pull the tow release at that altitude if the student fails to
call out 200-feet. Some more experienced pilots can do it in less, but that's
the arbitrary minimum turn-back altitude. You still have to consider, however,
the conditions (wind, etc.) on any particular day ... maybe it wouldn't be wise
to try, even at 200 feet. The Pawnee towplanes have turned back at about that
altitude or little higher and made it back safely...but even knowing it can be
done, I sure wouldn't use that as my personal gauge.

Old April 8th 04, 03:04 AM
Jeff

I have it in my head, If I lose power, I will continue straight ahead and hope
for the best spot. TUrning around seems more risky, depending on altitude and
where the engine quits at.

Old April 8th 04, 03:09 AM
Jeff

altitude and how far away from the airport you are.
I climb out at 105 kts and at about 700 fpm so there are several factors, one
is how much time elapsed since take off and the other is altitude.

Old April 8th 04, 03:57 AM
Mike Beede

Dennis O'Connor wrote:

You absolutely, flatly, cannot turn back and you will die if you try...

You should experiement a little to see what your aircraft and technique allow you
to do. I've tried and find 500 feet entirely adequate in a 172. However, it depends
on the wind, the terrain, and what you're operating. For most aircraft there *is* an
altitude above which you can get back to the runway. If you're flying a single-engine
jet or a helicopter, I suspect this isn't true....

I have no idea why Dennis made his flat statement, but I suggest you find out what
you and your aircraft can do safely, then file it away in your bag of tricks. By all
means get an instructor to go with you if you have any concerns about safety.

Mike Beede
Old April 8th 04, 03:57 AM
Newps

Jeff wrote:
I have it in my head, If I lose power, I will continue straight ahead and hope
for the best spot. TUrning around seems more risky, depending on altitude and
where the engine quits at.

It can be risky, it may not be. Go try it in your airplane. In a
Cessna you climb at 70 knots, pull the power, enter a 45 degree bank,
maintain 70 knots and see how much altitude you lose.

Old April 8th 04, 03:59 AM
G.R. Patterson III

BllFs6 wrote:

Sounds like more pilots should figure out their "altitude of no return" and
make a it a point to consciously decide when they have passed that point and a
different emergency response other than "do a 180 quick" is appropriate....

Well, you know enough about flying. :-)

You're right, and this has been suggested by other intelligent people, some of whom
know a great deal about flying.

George Patterson
This marriage is off to a shaky start. The groom just asked the band to
play "Your cheatin' heart", and the bride just requested "Don't come home
a'drinkin' with lovin' on your mind".
Old April 8th 04, 06:07 AM
Ben Jackson

In article hj1dc.209560$1p.2397005@attbi_s54,
mike regish wrote:
What if there's a mountain straight ahead and a nice cornfield off to your
right.

Then you try to thermal off the upslope winds on the mountain to gain
enough altitude for the 180 degree turn back to the airport...

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/