HondaJet: Not A Steam Gage In Sight

Old October 25th 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stefan

Default HondaJet: Not A Steam Gage In Sight

Larry Dighera schrieb:

They usually had some sort of fuel gage.

They usually had a wrist watch, just as every pilot should. (Lesson 1:
Never trust the fuel gauges, always calculate your estimated fuel flow.)

Agreed. It is vital to carry portable comm and nav equipment on IFR
flights. What is VDF? I presume the 'DF' refers to direction
finding, but what's the 'V' stand for?

VHF Direction Finding station. Or, in plain languge, when you talk to a
controller, his radio displays the direction from where those
electromagnetic waves originate. Just "request QTE" (or QDR or QDM,
whichever you prefer (Q-codes, anybody?)), and you know on which
"radial" from that ATC facility you are. (I don't know about the USA,
but here in Europe pretty much every ATC facility is VDF equipped.)

Stefan
Old October 25th 06, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

cjcampbell writes:

It is in the emergency procedures.

Is it? If there is a procedure for it, why is it still happening in
the first place?

Old October 25th 06, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Stefan writes:

I don't need a scientific degree in logic to understand even without
reading the POH that when the screen goes black, all those nifty things
which were on that very screen before are, well, not available anymore.

However, without a background in IT, a pilot might easily fail to
realize that the screen could go black in the first place. After all,
steam gauges don't disappear in a puff of smoke, so why would anyone
intuitively assume that a glass cockpit would?

Old October 25th 06, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Recently, Mxsmanic posted:

Stefan writes:

I don't need a scientific degree in logic to understand even without
reading the POH that when the screen goes black, all those nifty
things which were on that very screen before are, well, not
available anymore.

However, without a background in IT, a pilot might easily fail to
realize that the screen could go black in the first place. After all,
steam gauges don't disappear in a puff of smoke, so why would anyone
intuitively assume that a glass cockpit would?

Some steam gauge failures can be far more insidious than a glass panel
going blank.

Pilots are trained in the operation of the aircraft, and the POH would
make it clear that this is one of many possibilities. If one is
sufficiently grounded in the principles and operation of their aircraft,
no more information is necessary. If they aren't, the chances of passing
the requirements for a certificate are pretty slim.

Neil

Old October 25th 06, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Stefan writes:

I don't need a scientific degree in logic to understand even without
reading the POH that when the screen goes black, all those nifty things
which were on that very screen before are, well, not available anymore.

However, without a background in IT, a pilot might easily fail to
realize that the screen could go black in the first place. After all,
steam gauges don't disappear in a puff of smoke, so why would anyone
intuitively assume that a glass cockpit would?

I wish some steam gauges would just go black instead of their normal failure
mode which is to slowly die over a period that can be weeks.

Old October 26th 06, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
cjcampbell

Larry Dighera wrote:
On 24 Oct 2006 18:08:11 -0700, "cjcampbell"
wrote in
om:

Larry Dighera wrote:
On 22 Oct 2006 17:37:29 -0700, "cjcampbell"
wrote in
. com:

Pilots should be made aware of the potential magnitude of the failure
mode when the glass cockpit goes into infinite re-boot mode. All
communications, navigation, autopilot, etc are lost. I doubt many who
fly behind such equipment are aware of that.

It is in the emergency procedures. Pilots should be aware of those.

Are you able to provide the specific wording from the C-172S POH that
mentions that only ASI, AI, VSI, Alt. and magnetic compass steam gages
will be available in the event of glass cockpit failure, and also
mentions that the autopilot, radio communications, fuel gages, and
navigation systems will become inoperative?

Not at this time, being in the Philippines and not having any manuals
with me at all. However, it is in the G1000 manual, which is part of
the airplane's operator's manuals.

Old October 26th 06, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
cjcampbell

Larry Dighera wrote:

I don't need a scientific degree in logic to understand even without
reading the POH that when the screen goes black, all those nifty things
which were on that very screen before are, well, not available anymore.

True. But I wasn't aware that the autopilot wouldn't even work as a
wing leveler.

Whatever made you think that it would? The autopilot is obviously
electrical.

Besides, pilots flew with "only ASI, AI, VSI, Alt. and magnetic compass
steam gages" for decades, so what's the big deal.

They usually had some sort of fuel gage.

The fuel gauges in Skyhawks have been electrical for decades. We have
been losing them in power failures for more than thirty years.

I agree that a backup radio would be nice, though. (Which would perfectly
double as a navigation aid using VDF.)

Old October 26th 06, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
cjcampbell

Mxsmanic wrote:
Stefan writes:

I don't need a scientific degree in logic to understand even without
reading the POH that when the screen goes black, all those nifty things
which were on that very screen before are, well, not available anymore.

However, without a background in IT, a pilot might easily fail to
realize that the screen could go black in the first place. After all,
steam gauges don't disappear in a puff of smoke, so why would anyone
intuitively assume that a glass cockpit would?

Most people know that the TV set turns off when the power goes out. You
would have to be incredibly stupid to not know that the panels will go
off in a power failure. Besides, the POH specifically points it out,
and the plane has a backup battery and the POH tells you how long the
screens will continue to operate on the backup battery.

Old October 26th 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
cjcampbell

Mxsmanic wrote:
cjcampbell writes:

It is in the emergency procedures.

Is it? If there is a procedure for it, why is it still happening in
the first place?

People who fly real airplanes know that anything can break. It is part
of the training. A good pilot constantly asks himself, "If this thing
that I am using quits working, what will I do?" A good pilot also knows
at any moment where he would land in an emergency. It is a favorite
question instructors like to ask their students; or we just yank the
throttle and ask the student, "So, where you gonna land?"

Old October 26th 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On 25 Oct 2006 18:24:50 -0700, "cjcampbell"
wrote in
.com:

However, it is in the G1000 manual, which is part of
the airplane's operator's manuals.

I wasn't able to find it on the Garmin web site?