Garmin 196 or 296?

Old March 19th 05, 09:55 PM
Bob Jenneson

Default Garmin 196 or 296?

I have just sold my Garmin Pilot 3 and want to upgrade to another
Garmin, possible a 196 or a 296.
I have a mate with a 196 and it does a great job. Has anybody had any first
hand experience with the new colour 296?
What is the colour screen like to read especially in a sunny cockpit?
Is it worth the extra cash?
You can only get so much info of a web site!

Thanks, Bob.

Old March 19th 05, 11:15 PM
Peter Seddon

"Bob Jenneson" wrote in message
I have just sold my Garmin Pilot 3 and want to upgrade to another
Garmin, possible a 196 or a 296.
I have a mate with a 196 and it does a great job. Has anybody had any
first
hand experience with the new colour 296?
What is the colour screen like to read especially in a sunny cockpit?
Is it worth the extra cash?
You can only get so much info of a web site!

Thanks, Bob.

What about the new 96 or 96C, costs a little less, seems to do the same job.

Peter.

Old March 20th 05, 04:45 PM
Ed Byars

Bob: I have a 296 I use as a back up in my power plane. I up graded from a
295. I don't think the color of the 296 is as good as the 295 in sunlight. I
got the 296 after I disposed of my last glider (little incident made the
insurance co. decide to buy it), so I have not tried it in a glider, but my
few thousand hours of glider time says that you would not be satisfied with
the 296 in direct sunlight. B&W 196 would be better. Both are bulky and will
be hard to mount in a glider.
My2 cents. Good luck,
ED Byars

Old March 20th 05, 08:38 PM
Steven Huiskes

hi bob,

I could ask my dad. he is a dealer in Garmin products en he has
experience with the 296.

Kind Regards, Steven Huiskes

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 22:05:13 +0000, Glider Pilot Network
Newsgroup: rec.aviation.soaring
Subject: Garmin 196 or 296?
Author: Bob Jenneson
Date/Time: 22:00 19 March 2005

http://redirect.banners.gliderpilot.net/?id=21

Old March 22nd 05, 08:16 AM
Bob Jenneson

Thanks Steven,
Any assistance would be appreciated. From other posts, the colour of the
296 is in question!

Thanks, Bob...