Old October 10th 03, 02:38 AM
David Megginson

(Dan Thomas) writes:

Stall/spin accidents most often occur near the ground, such as in
the circuit, as I understand it, and spin training isn't going to
save you there. There won't be enough altitude for
recovery. Learning to recognize the situations that lead to spins is
another thing and should be taught thoroughly. We teach spins and
spin recoveries even in PPL training, using different real-life
scenarios (with lots of altitude) and lots of wing-drop stall
recoveries.

I trained in 2002 in rental 172's, before buying my Warrior. We
didn't do spins at all (except that my instructor demonstrated one
incipient spin), but we tried hard to get wing-drops on stalls -- I
succeeded well under 50% of the time, even in a power-on, 30-deg-bank
departure stall.

In my Warrior, I have yet to see a wing drop in a stall at all. I
don't want to risk a spin or snap roll by stalling severely
uncoordinated, but nothing that I am willing to do -- various
combinations of fast stall, slow stall, power-on, power-off, wings
level, banked -- will drop a wing or really do anything other than
make the nose buffet up and down a little.

All the best,

David