Old November 9th 04, 04:54 AM
Andrew Sarangan

Next time when you are flying commercial, take a look at the engine when
thrust reversers are applied. A deflector is used to reflect the exhaust
gases in the forward direction. You can clearly see the deflector being
activated if you sit near the engine nacelle. The blades do not change
rotation in most turbofan engines.

I am not too surprised about the chandelles. It is not a required
maneuver in the Canadian commercial checkride. But not knowing angle of
attack is surprising. This is basic concept everyone learns in primary
ground school. However, I am not sure how much aerodynamics a 737 pilot
has to know. At that level you are so far removed from the stick and
rudder flying that it is quite possible they have forgotten the basics.
I consider the heavy iron pilots as more like a systems manager than a
stick and rudder pilot.

(Ramapriya) wrote in
om:

Hi again,

I have for a colleague a 30-yr old former Air Canada 737 pilot who
doesn't take too kindly to questions of my kind When I asked him
recently about how forward thrust happens, he said that the engine
blades simply turn the other direction. With nothing to back up my
hunch, I still feel something amiss and implausible in what he said,
but if true, I must confess it represents fantastic braking within the
engine to first get the blades to a stop spinning, and next spin the
other way!

Could someone please confirm or deny what my colleague told me? That
pilot, by the way, says he has not heard of 'chandelles' or 'phugoids'
or even 'angle of attack'. Leaves me thinking that either Denker's
book contains non-standard terminology (unlikely) or Canadians use a
different set of terms (likely). OR he's feigning to keep me away (

Ramapriya

http://www.usenet.com