Old December 28th 06, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Default GA is priceless

"Jose" wrote in message
. net...
But you are right, given the risk aversion that has swept and IMHO
weakened this country I really surprised that driving hasn't become as
regulated as flying.

It's less regulated in the sense that just about anybody can get a license
and drive. It's more regulated (there's a better phrase but I can't think
of it) in the sense that minima are much higher. In aviation, it is legal
to do things that require skill, and prudent not to if you don't have the
skill. In driving, if it requires skill, it is illegal. For example,
it's illegal to go seventy miles an hour, but it is perfectly legal to fly
210 feet above the ground while in clouds.

I know exactly what you mean and if they REALLY wanted to cut down on
traffic accidents they would require 40 hours of training supervised by a
professional instructor not by dad in the family truckster. The problem is a
lot of people would then not drive and cars would then be built in the
quantities that GA planes are and a Ford Fiesta would cost $500,000.