Old January 16th 07, 01:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roy N5804F

Default Piper Archer II Air Leak Problem by Back Seat.

Hi Jay,
Yes you have a good understanding of the issue now. All the statements you
made are right on.
The air is pouring up though the fine mesh duct on the plank on the
co-pilots side of the bird.
As far as I can tell their is no draft coming out of the fine mesh plank
vent on the pilots side.

The external shroud is positioned as a venturi rather than a scoop !
The wings are in the normal place and no metal has gone missing on the
underside of the plane :-)
BTW this is the first time since owning the Archer that we have had an
overhead duct without holes in it !

Piper Chat ? Can you let me have a link?

Thanks

--
Roy
Piper Archer N5804F

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ps.com...
During December I had a new leather interior fitted, so the fit of the
seat
board against the wall panels is now very snug.
But still the howling draft pours through the right side seat board vent.
I wonder why no draft out of the left seat board vent ?
That might be the key to solving the issue !

Wow, that's a weird one, Roy.

So the draft is coming through that fine mesh that buts up against the
sidewalls, right next to the rear bucket seats? But only on the
*co-pilots* side?

There is nothing underneath that plank that should be able to direct
the air in any one direction -- it's just an open cavity beneath that
big hunk of plywood. Why the air would only come out the RIGHT
mesh/vent/opening is truly a mystery.

I suppose you could try duct taping a piece of cardboard to the bottom
side of the mesh, and go fly it? If nothing else, you'd be able to
see if (a) the draft stops, and (b) if it now pours out the LEFT
mesh/duct.

You sure that the little shroud around the bottom vent hole isn't
installed backwards, turning it into ram-air instead of venturi?

You might post this on Cherokee Chat, the Cherokee Pilots Association's
website. If someone there doesn't know the answer, it's either
unanswerable, or you truly are a pioneer in this particular problem.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA