Old September 2nd 07, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

Default Tost brake bolt shears off

what kind of glider was this on? This would seem very unusual as literally
thousands of these wheels are in use on almost all glider types.
it would help to know this
tim

Please visit the Wings & Wheels website at www.wingsandwheels.com

"Jack Glendening" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am wondering if others have experienced the shearing of a Tost brake
bolt resulting in brake failure - I'm speaking about the bolt which
extends from the hub and is secured to the aircraft frame (not
the bolt which extends for the wire lever attachment). I experienced
such a failure on my latest landing with a month-old Tost unit - I was
puliing more strongly than usual on the brake but not nearly as hard
as I could, and certainly not as hard as I would if it had been an
emergency situation. I was amazed that such could produce a bolt
shear - I would have thought that some other brake part would fail
before such a
relatively thick bolt would, but I am no mechanic. It makes me wonder
about the quality of the parts Tost is using. Is this a known/common
point of failure?

Jack Glendening