View Single Post
Old October 19th 08, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce
external usenet poster

Default FAA Revoking Standard Airworthiness Certificate DG-505

Hi Darryl

I know the history - was sloppy in my edit, so - Sorry to make it more confusing.

But the point was that the previous incarnation of the DG company Glaser-Dirks, sold the rights to manufacture certain
models to AMS way back in 1978.
Glaser Dirks went into insolvency in 1996 when they got into production problems with the 800B. Subsequently Mr Wolf and
Mr and Mrs Weber purchased the assets, with basically no operational interruption.
It was not wound up though - so Glaser Dirks and the current DG Flugzeugbau have commercial continuity.

I am sure this is a problem for the current DG which has to honour arrangements made in 1978, to try to protect their
brand - which is the only reason I can see them being prepared to help.

For what it is worth the other two big manufacturers also made versions of this mistake.
Schempp-hirth has problems with license built Std Cirrus aircraft. They at least sold the design and had a clean
separation from the new manufacture. However - certification problems are cropping up now that Grob is in insolvency.
Schleicher have smaller problems with the Pegase which is a derivative of the ASW20, but is at least different enough
that they are distanced from the problems.

Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Oct 19, 3:06 am, Bruce wrote:
The "individual" posting from Germany, is the owner of Glaser Dirks. I would say that indicates a willingness to support
the brand even when the aircraft in question is not one Glaser Dirks built.

Particularly since , as he pointed ,out the aircraft in question is built by an unrelated company that purchased the
rights and moulds for the design. DGs only interest in this is some reputational risk, because the aircraft built by AMS
are recognised as DG designs. Apparently Mr Weber is prepared to go to a lot of trouble to help.

SNIP