Old January 28th 07, 12:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel

Default How to compare/valuation of features

In article ,
"Douglas Paterson" wrote:

- Engine time. Seems simple enough--divide the time on the motor by TBO
and multiply by overhaul cost ($25K, I seem to be hearing? [oops! I'm
trying to join this club, better get used to the jargon: make that 25AMU
]). Throw in some English based on the average annual usage (more is
better), and you can compare two different time engines. Fair enough?

There is a fudge factor (totally guess work) to account for the type of time
on the engine. Did the airplane sit for months and months between long
flights? 300 hours in ten years isn't as good as 300 hours in 2-3 years.

Also, some engines have a calendar time between overhauls.

I didn't follow your whole thread, did anyone suggest you think about
whether you want an airplane with a run-out engine (you overhaul it and
know that you have a fresh overhaul), mid-time engine (will it really make
TBO?), or fresh overhaul (was it a cheapo overhaul?)?

I ended up buying (and paying for) an airplane with a low-time engine.
It had about 300 hours on it, and only got to around 600 hours before
a couple of cylinders cracked.

- Avionics--the big one. Conventional wisdom seems to be to get the
What's
a soup-to-nuts panel cost, brand new, installed? Is 50AMU in the ballpark?

What's your definition of soup-to-nuts?

- Paint. What's a quality paint job cost? 5AMU?

Around here, 10 AMU.

- Interior. What's a new interior cost? 5AMU?

and possibly more. Less if you do the work yourself.

good luck

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the