Old August 26th 04, 02:40 PM
Peter Bjoern

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 21:10:39 +0930, "Scet" wrote
in rec.aviation.military:

Is it this rise in EGT that is looked for to ensure the system is operative?
Is there a thermal switch that is made to indicate the system is or isn't
working or is the first inkling that the pilot has that all is not as it should be, aircraft
controllability issues during the approach phase?

Hi Scet

I don't believe there was any variations in the EGT used to verify if the BLC
system is working or not, but I will try to verify this with a friend who used
to fly the 104 and see if he can remember.

In the meantime, this is what the T.O. 1F-104G-1 has to say about a BLC
malfunction :

"If a boundary layer control system malfunction is experienced as manifested
by a strong rolling tendency as the wing flaps travel to the LAND position,
proceed as follows :
1. Flaps-TAKEOFF.
2. Throttle-Adjust to minimum safe setting to reduce the effect of asymmetric
BLC while flaps are returning to TAKEOFF.
3. Fly final approach at not less than 195 KIAS with flaps in TAKEOFF position.
4. Touch down at 165 KIAS minimum."

Regards

Peter