Old August 1st 07, 06:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Andrew-S

Default What are you really trying to accomplish

Dave,
I will happily stand corrected on the PhD issue and offer my apologies for
that miss-reading... Blame it on the heat of the emotions...

In fairness though you too have misread a few things.. Such as why I am
opposed to yEnc or that even though I dislike using it I am in fact yEnc
capable. A big Part of the reason for my anti-yEnc stance is that this
group is aimed towards Amateurs in both aviation Photography AND the
Newsgroups. Oh and by the way most of the other NON-Porn image groups have
had similar discussions and arguments as this one has at some point in their
respective histories. Why it has reached the levels of intensity that this
one has I can only attribute to the fact that this a male dominated
(frequently ex-military or police) group. And lads who disagree typically
want to puff out their chests and expound their views. The hardest part
though is resisting those urges without feeling or looking like a panzy
(spelling?) showing off his frilly pink underwear in public.

In my opinion given how angry people get about yEnc, it should for moment be
considered a taboo subject for a few weeks in the NG. As in no discussion
of why it is good or bad. No remarks about the whining (and please don't
try to argue that the pro yEnc crowd doesn't whine). No snide remarks about
the abilities associated with this or that reader. Just let the it die as a
subject for the moment... A cooling off period that I think would do the
group a world of good. I am looking at the broader issue which is what it
is hurting the group.

Having said that someone just posted a batch of images in yEnc without the
required yEnc in the subject line. Now then yEnc supporters here is your
chance to enforce your own rules... I fully expect to see all the pro yEnc
names that have engaged the anti-yEnc side when the flaming begins.
Preferable without all the nasty comments regarding those of us who dislike
yEnc...

Now go get him!!!

Andrew

"Dave LaCourse" wrote in message
On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 02:12:14 -0400, "Andrew-S"
I-Still-Hate-Spammers@Sorry-I had-to-leave-for-bit.com wrote:

You have a PhD and your point is??? Hell 2/3rds of the population in
Washington DC metro area have degrees. Even more impressive is that I
think
it is something like only 1 in 6 is actually the degree in the field for
which they where trained. As for your specific graphics training? I work
in
a camera shop and I have at least 3 or 4 people a day tell me they either
pro or they have this or that degree in either graphics or photography.
The
more professional ones come in asking for advice or knowing what they
want,
it is only later on when they pull out a Black Amex Titanium (as in a
real
titanium not plastic card) with their company name on it that you realize
what they are.

Uhh, you need to take a course in reading comprehension, kid. Where
did I say I have a PhD? I have no graphics training. (Twenty years in
the Navy, twenty years as an opto-electronics engineer, ten years as a
high performance driving instructor for cops, but no PhD.) d;o)

Forty-three? So I *was* correct. I have kids older than you.

This thing can end very easily, Andrew: Stop your incessant whining.
It does not become you.

As for the cowardice thingy.... we all say things on the internet that
we would not say if we were face to face with each other. Your
telling me to **** off is an example. I know you wouldn't say that to
me face to face, not because you are a coward, but because I know you
are better than that. You read to much into peoples' words.

Dave
(Who, at 70 and 6"1' (shrinking!), 220 pounds has absolutely NO
interest in fighting anyone. Been there. Done that. Have the
t-shirt.)