Old November 5th 05, 04:50 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

Default "Movement Area" (airplanes and trucks)

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
online.com...

Landing on 22 at KCDW today (after a fantastic little trip with my wife
shooting photos of the fall colors around our town), I was instructed to
taxi via H to N to RN tie-down. P, the taxiway normally used to reach N
from that point, was closed for construction.

Where's H? I'm looking at the NACO airport diagram, I see no H. Where's RN
tiedown?

That taxi clearance put me in conflict with a truck. I asked ground for
the trucks intentions, and was told "I don't know; it's not a movement
area" (he may have said "controlled"; I don't recall the specific
verbiage). I had to move very close to parked aircraft to avoid this
truck, who had the grace to slow down. Somewhat.

Airport operations came on the frequency and told the tower to instruct
the trucks to stay somewhere (again, I don't recall the specifics). The
tower
acknowledged. I added "thanks". The tower then asked if I understood
that H wasn't a movement area (or some such).

This situation irks me. Can ground control clear me through an area over
which they've no control?

What's the alternative if the only other route is via a closed taxiway?

I've been cleared *to* uncontrolled areas; not
*through*. Does it become controlled when the taxiway normally used for
that route is closed?

No.

Should it?

No taxiway should be nonmovement area.