Old March 25th 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Fact or satirical fiction?

Many years ago I was parked in my car near the approach (ILS
Rwy 4 at SPI) with the weather at about 400-1. I saw an ANG
F84F fighter breakout at 400 feet, well to the side of the
runway in a 50 degree bank.

Just go to the NASA website and look up the incident by case
number. Sounds like a general and possible screwup. A
missed approach on an ILS should always be done if the
needle even reaches the full scale, because you have no idea
how far off scale you are at that point.

http://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

wrote in message
ups.com...
| Someone mailed me the following incident the other day. I
suspect it's
| a satirical work, not factual - I mean, it can't happen
real-time like
| this ) Is there a way of verifying the extent of the
jest? Here's
| what was mailed:
|
| NASA ASRS Incident #294800, Atlanta, GA (ATL):
| ------------------------------------
| Crew: Two-man crew, Captain (CAPT) and First Officer (FO);
report
| submitted
| by FO
| Aircraft: MDT (Medium Transport, 30,001 - 60,000 lbs);
large turboprop
| Flight Conditions: IMC; apparent ceiling 200 ft
| ILS Approach Min: 200 ft ceiling and 3/8 mi visibility
|
| CAPT was PF (pilot flying). On Approach (APCH) into ATL,
the aircraft
| was
| stabilized one mile outside Final Approach Fix (FAF) at
2,700 ft MSL.
| Aircraft flew through the Localizer (LOC), overcompensated
and flew
| through
| the LOC again at the Marker. Once the Marker light
illuminated the Gear
| Down/Landing Checklist, to the line, was called. FO
proceeded with the
| Landing Checklist and called out the major deviations.
| * FO: several "wild excursions" ensued.
| * At 400 ft AGL, FO stated: "We were full-scale Right of
LOC and on
| Glide
| Slope (GS)."
| * At a point above 200 ft AGL, FO called Go-Around (GAR).
| * At 200 ft AGL, FO: "We broke out well Right of the
Runway (RWY) and
| adjacent to the Touchdown Zone (TDZ).
| * The CAPT called for GAR; FO pushed up the Power.
| * CAPT called: "No, I got the RWY made."
| Landing (LNDG) was made after "several wild banks and
ensuing jest by
| the
| Tower (TWR)."
| FO self-evaluation:
| * "I should have been more assertive as an FO"; and
| * I never should have allowed the APCH to pass the first
deviation