Old March 21st 04, 11:40 PM
JDupre5762

To my knowledge there is the merlin engined Bf109 at duxford, and an
originally engined one titled "GUSTAV", it was captured in the desert and
restored later it is the only one with its original daimler benz engine
still in good nick and still powering the aircraft, last i heard of it was
when it was being carted off down under. Its probably back home by now.

G-USTAV is otherwise known as Black 6. It is a genuine Bf 109 G-6. It is
owned by the RAF museum I believe and since they had several other examples
they allowed this one to be rebuilt to flying condition and flown for a few
years. On its last flight before being grounded for museum display the
aircraft was crashed and heavily damaged. It has since been rebuilt for static
display. I don't believe that it was ever shipped Down Under.

There have been two or three Spanish built Buchons rebuilt with Daimler
engines and flown in Germany. Most have been ground looped and damaged and
then retired after being rebuilt. I believe that there are not now any
original German built Bf 109s flying though several capable of flight and
several more being restored.

John Dupre'