Old March 5th 04, 04:05 PM
Andrew Gideon

David B. Cole wrote:

My instructor
admitted that he once made the same mistake so I didn't feel too bad.

Your instructor brought you there specifically to make that mistake. I
know. My instructor did the same to me, and my instructor is your
instructor.

It's a good lesson. There are plenty of airports around with nearby
neighbors, even just in our area (northern NJ). It's not so likely on a
straight-in approach (though my person definition of "straight-in" doesn't
agree with TERPs {8^), but through in an angle like you have there and it
becomes a serious possibility.

Think, for example, about the VOR-27 into SWF. Unless you know where to
look at MDA, you could miss the airport. Now, stick another airport in the
vicinity...

[...]
We rolled 25-30 degrees
uncommanded on several occasions and once the sudden movement of the
yoke nearly took my wrist with it.

So much for a light, two-fingered grip on the yoke, right?

[...]

Back on the ground, my instructor complimented me on a good landing as
we taxied back. We were just in time for his next student, with whom
he of course cancelled. He also told me that he could tell I was
fatigued and if that happened on a solo flight I had to recognize it
and possibly land somewhere else until I was ok to fly. He also told
me that if I needed to use the autopilot, meaning himself, that I
shouldn't be embarrassed to say so.

Actually, you should have Stanley show you the AP in DR if he hasn't
already. It's a good one, and - like all other tools - you should be very
familiar with it.

Anyway: Nicely done.

- Andrew