Old January 7th 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Least favorite ATC instructions... ... ...

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
Douglas Paterson wrote:

I've not heard that before either, but I'd never heard "check gear down"
before I flew into a military field either. And this was in a 182 which
made it even more comical.

This one I can answer a bit more directly, since it came about during my
tenure in the Air Force. USAF got tired of "too many" gear-up landing (how
many was that? dunno; 1 is "too many" in my book), so they implemented a
policy that eventually worked its way into the rule books. I'll cite the
pilot side of things; I'm reasonably certain that the (USAF) tower
controllers' books have more or less the same guidance for their side of the
radio. I have no idea what, if any, reduction in gear-up landings is
attributed to this rule.

From AFI 11-202 v3
[http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/pubfi...i11-202v3.pdf],
para 5.9.6:

5.9.6. Landing Gear Reporting Procedures. Pilots operating retractable gear
aircraft must report "gear down" to the ATC agency or runway supervisory
unit after extending the landing gear. This report shall be made during any
approach to an airport prior to crossing the runway threshold.

--
Doug
"Where am I to go/Now that I've gone too far?" -- Golden Earring, "Twilight