Old February 8th 06, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Jepps airport and VOR names ... how used?

This came about by the increased usage of computers in Air Traffic Control.
Computers could not understand or process a VOR(Cleveland VOR) CLE direct
to Cleveland (Hopkins) Airport CLE. So it was decided to change the name
the name of the VOR. So Cleveland VOR becamw Dryer VOR (DBJ). It was
nameed after a very prominent Cleveland aviation family. Milwaukee VOR
became Badger, South Bend VOR became Gipper (wonder why?) and so on.
Al

"Henry A. Spellman" wrote in message
Controllers sometimes don't remember that a fix or facility name has
changed. I live near Bloomington, IL, with a VOR named Bloomington (BMI).
My son lived near Bloomington, IN, and the VOR approach to the airport
nearest his home was based on the VOR at Bloomington, IN, naturally named
Bloomington VOR (BMG if I remember correctly). Shortly after the
Bloomington (IN) VOR was renamed Hoosier VOR (OOM), I was enroute to see
my son when I received an amended clearance "direct to Bloomington VOR".
I asked for clarification, and the controller repeated the same clearance.
Bloomington (IL) (BMI) was behind me, so I asked why he wanted me to turn
around. Then it dawned on me, and I asked if maybe the last clearance was
really for Hoosier VOR. He agreed that Hoosier VOR would be better.

You can't ever let your guard down.

Hank
Henry A. Spellman
Comanche N5903P

Marco Leon wrote:
Interesting questions.
Question A: It depends on the controller. In the Northeast, I've found
that
the more commonly-used VORs are referred to by name only while others
have
the identifier called out on a regular basis--especially if the ID is
nothing like the name. Just ask the controller to give it to you by the
identifier beforehand. They'll probably have no probem with it.

Question B: Like you mentioned, the Jepps have the spoken name on their
charts which is one of their benefits. At least at my home field--where
the
spoken name is Republic and the charts are under Farmingdale--I've never
personally heard it cause any confusion (with or without the tower
operational). Most pilots can figure it out quite readily. Call them by
whatever the ATC facility is using (either tower or Approach) and you
can't
go wrong. As for the history of WHY, well, that probably varies with each
facility.

Marco