Old April 17th 09, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Default What's the bi-annual flight review all about?

On Apr 16, 8:39*pm, Tman wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote:
On Apr 15, 6:15 pm, "RST Engineering" wrote:

YOu and I were taught by different people. *A checklist is just that ... a
step by step list of todos so that you don't forget something. *It is very
easy for the mind to go through a "familiar list" and be so rote that you
really DID think you were on both mags when you were only on one.

Jim

The quickest thing that disqualified an applicant on any check flight
I ever gave was the non-use or improper use of a checklist.
Dudley Henriques

An admittedly small sample, but I've actually never seen a professional
pilot do a walkaround on an airplane with a checklist in hand. *Not even
when I'm watching the A320 FO do a walkaround. *I'm sure it happens
though. *I've only seen students and pilots on a checkride do that. *My
instructor told me to "have the checklist in your hand but you don't
really need to look at it" -- for the preflight.

So -- Dudley and others. *Let's be clear here as I am curious. *Which
phases of flight do you use the checklist for?

_ preflight planning
_ drive out to the airport
_ preflight examination
_ getting in and getting fastened
_ engine start and post-start
_ pre-taxi
_ runup
_ pre-takeoff
_ climbout
_ approaching a fix on an IFR flight plan
_ cruise (log fuel, check nav, switch tanks)
_ pre-approach ("WIRE")
_ approach
_ pre-landing / landing "GUMPS"
_ clear of runway
_ pre-taxi
_ shutdown ("fuel not on both, master off")
_ post-shutdown ("tie down, pick up your x, y, and z)
_ walk-away ("hobbs, lock gate")

I have a friend that would honestly "x" everything in each column.

I consider myself a pretty safe pilot. *Answers for me below. *I do a
lot of GUMPS, WIRE, and I use the instrument panel placards (pre-landing
check, etc), in particular, but I am not thinking it is "checklist
usage" unless you have the thing in your hand...

Would I pass your flight test?

_ preflight planning
_ drive out to the airport
_ preflight examination
_x getting in and getting fastened
x_ engine start and post-start
_ pre-taxi
_x runup
_ pre-takeoff
_ climbout
_ approaching a fix on an IFR flight plan
_ pre-approach ("WIRE")
_ approach
_ pre-landing / landing "GUMPS"
_ clear of runway
_ pre-taxi
_ shutdown ("fuel not on both, master off")
_ post-shutdown ("tie down, pick up your x, y, and z)
_ walk-away ("hobbs, lock gate")

I use a lot of flow and mnemonics for the other stuff tho.

Tman.

I both use and teach the use of checklists for any and all procedures
so recommended by the manufacturer.
I also use and teach mnemonics as a supplement to checklists.

The trick with checklists is not to get bogged down in minutia to the
point where you are checking every nut and bolt. A lot depends on the
equipment being flown.

Each pilot is a product of that pilot's exposure to the learning curve
at any instant in that pilot's career.
How a pilot views the use of checklists varies within this context.
Some overdue checklist use. Some are lax on the subject of checklists.
The good pilot develops an attitude toward flight safety that makes
use of any and all appropriate tools devoted toward that end.
How each pilot uses these tools will in large part be determined by
the habit patterns that pilot has developed through the learning
process (which never ends)
Dudley Henriques

Dudley Henriques