Old March 12th 07, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Garret

Default What do you do in the real world?

In article ,
Tim wrote:

This is not a matter of opinion. My clearance limit was an airport
(KVNY to be precise).

So, if your clearance limit is the airport, then why do you go to the
airport then the IAF?

Because that's what the regs say. You are the one saying I should be
following the regs.

You should go to an IAF, then land at your
clearance limit - which is the airport.

An odd bit of advice from someone who believes that one should follow
the regs and not improvise.

Here is another question - how would you navigate to the airport, unless
on an IAP?

I enter the airport's identifier into my GPS and hit the "direct" button.

When would you ever use the airport as a fix and not the destination?

When it is my clearance limit. Are we done with the pop quiz now?

that he is to fly to that airport, THEN navigate to an IAF to do an
approach.

That is what the regs say to do.

So how in the world would I navigate to the airport using just a VOR?

Non-sequitur. I filed /G. But let me ask you: how would YOU fly direct
from SNS to an IAP for KVNY using just a VOR?

The only way to do it is to use an IAP.

Wow, you really are clueless, aren't you. Are you not aware of the
existence of IFR-certified GPS? (Are you even a pilot?)

Right, but you were also unaware of what to do when reaching a clearance
limit with no more instructions and no published hold.

You should look up the aphorism about people who live in glass houses.

rg