Old June 19th 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default allowable compass error...

Thanks, I know about compass roses and swinging the compass. What I'm
looking for is an indication that the compass needs swinging. That's why my
hypothetical scenario stated that the runway alignment is correct. That does
happen, by the way, even if the odds are against it.

"RomeoMike" wrote in message
Don't know, but if you are using the runway heading to judge whether your
compass reading is in error, remember that runway headings are not always
true. There are other ways to calibrate your compass.

Casey Wilson wrote:
My FARAIM is at my daughter's house and I can't find anything on the 'net
to answer my questions. Please indulge me....

Scenario:
1) line up with runway centerline[for my hypothetical, the runway is
dead nuts to the compass]
2) note compass heading
3) add/subtract compass card correction

Questions:
1) How much error is allowable between known heading and corrected
compass reading?
2) Does a significant error down the airplane as unworthy?
3) Where can I find applicable references?