Old March 11th 07, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Tim

Default What do you do in the real world?

Mxsmanic wrote:
Tim writes:

How is this an emergency?

It endangers the flight and other flights around it. Losing all communication
in crowded, controlled airspace is clearly an emergency.

Bull****. The radio has no bearing on the safety of flight. The flight
controls all work fine. That is why you file an ifr flight plan. You
state on it your airspeed. If not under radar, you make position
reports. If under radar no need to. This is why the regulations (you
already quoted) require different procedures in VFR.

If you already know the answer and were given instructions by
controllers to do this in the past, why pose it here?

If you already know the answer, why have you still not provided it?

Many other have also discussed it and you already posted the relevant
FAR section. The OP claims he got instructions from the local
controllers. So, if that is the case, he should just follow those
instructions. (Or perhaps they are not regulatory)

While your specific example may work for you in this case, applying that
logic in other places will get you killed. If you follow the regs the
way they are written you will be fine and you won't get in trouble.

So what's the answer?

See the FARs you already posted.

If you have an emergency (and I don;t think a non-op comms radio qualifies)
then you certainly can do whatever you need to do to make a safe ending
to the flight.

Why doesn't an inoperative radio qualify? You're in airspace that requires
two-way radio communication.

If you are saying that an inop radio is an emergency then I would
question your judgment as a pilot. If the pilot thinks it is an
emergency, then by all means, "declare" one and treat it as such.

Are you saying that piper cubs are always flying around in states of
emergency? (they have no electrical system and no radios) - unless
modified to have them.

So you are saying you don't know what you are supposed to do when you
reach a clearance limit and there is no published hold?

So enlighten everyone by explaining exactly what he should do.

I thought the regs were clear. Others have also offered it up here.