Old October 14th 04, 01:29 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 01:06:31 -0700, wrote:

Without the special knowledge gained by the Air Force explanation, how could
you conclude that. The 2.5 DME stepdown states 1160. Descending to 900
after the FAF because I don't have DME would cause me to have a major pucker
factor and is contrary to every FAA-developed IAP.

The 2.5 DME fix does not (and cannot) apply if you don't have DME.

If that is what the Air Force intends, then the chart should state, "Non DME
equipped aircraft using LOC minimums may descend to 900 after Belch.

Talk to the chart makers. They are the one's who put the written procedure
into a graphic format.

Also, this business of Air Force pilots tracking is pure drivel; this
procedure is for civil use.

Most USAF procedures can be used by civilians. I don't have a problem with
course vs track, or some of the other differences. But then, I learned to
fly at KCEF when it was a SAC base.

I agree that the FAA would have described the procedure differently.

What do you think are the chances of either getting USAF to change their
procedures, or the FAA to review every USAF approach to ensure that it is
described the same as an FAA approach?

It might be easier to learn the differences.

--ron