Old February 22nd 04, 09:09 PM
Leslie Swartz

It's called a "net energy loss" because the energy required to *make* the
ethanol has to come from somewhere . . . like a coal burning plant . . . and
the joules required to make the ethanol is MORE than the joules the ethanol
itself releases.

Same for all the "hydrogen" type boondoggles.

Same for the "new" gas-electric hybrids. Yes, you get 60 miles to teh
gallon as long as you don't count teh energy stream required to get the "top
off" electricity to the vehicle and the extra energy required to manufacture
the hybrid side of the vehicle in the first place. Well, o.k., the newest
hybrids are probably right at break even now. The only reason they exist
now is some jackboot sticks a gun in our faces and steals our money to
subsidize the program. Try buyign a hybrid at "full price" and you'll see
what I mean.

If it takes more energy to make it than it releases, that just means you
have to burn more fossil fuels (or atoms, but that's pretty much out) than
you would have in the first place.

Oh yeah, and I love being lectured by our "Green" friends in Europe about
how great Diesel is . . .

Steve Swartz

"George Z. Bush" wrote in message

"Stephen Harding" wrote in message
George Z. Bush wrote:

"D. Strang" wrote in message

Ethanol is a welfare program. It has nothing to do with future

energy.

You don't know what you're talking about. When you pour a gallon of

it into
your gas tank, that's one less gallon of gasoline that you're going to

need,
because it's supposed to burn just about as good as gasoline does.

That has
do with reducing gasoline consumption, the way I see it.

Unfortunately, for
some reason, it never caught on with consumers.

I like ethanol. My car does that is. Seems to run a little smoother
when I'm cruising across Iowa where "gasohol" can be found in
abundance.

But from an energy conservation point of view, it really isn't very
good sense. How much energy does it take to create ethanol from
corn? How much energy do you get back from burning it with gas?

It's a net energy loss IIRC.

Maybe it's because I don't fully understand how it works, but if, as you

say, it
runs as smoothly in your car as does gasoline and if the stuff is made of
surplus corn not otherwise needed to nourish human beings, why doesn't its
manufacture in far larger quantities than presently help to extend the

life of
our oil reserves? For every gallon of ethanol-containing gasohol that is

burned
(made of stuff that otherwise would likely rot and be of no value to

anyone),
would that not represent at least a portion of a gallon of gasoline that

won't
be burned in its place, therefore extending the life of our petroleum

reserves?
How can that be an energy loss?

Is the fact that there might not be as much profit in a gallon of gasohol

as
there is in a gallon of gasoline what inhibits an expansion of the amount

of
ethanol manufactured?

If so, should our national energy policy be based on the profitability of

the
fuel used by our nation's consumers, or should that factor have any

influence at
all?

it has been stated that if diesel prices reach $2.00 a gallon, that

the
current technology in algae production would be able to match that

price,
with future prices going lower as production increases, and technology
improves.

That's all well and good, but 25+ years after they started looking

into the
possibilities, there is still nothing available that is cost-effective

enough to
put on the market. Since no one denies that we ought to be able to

rub our
bellies and scratch our heads at the same time, why haven't they

created
greater
demand on vehicle manufacturers to produce engines capable of

simultaneously
reducing fuel consumption and expanding the life of our petroleum

reserves
and
stocks while, at the same time, continuing to explore alternative

sources?
That's a rhetorical question, and I'm sure you know the answer as well

as I.

Because oil is what drives the economy, and because no satisfactory
alternative is anywhere on the horizon, with the possible exception
of hydrogen driven fuel cell technology in perhaps 20 years.

The infrastructure is set up for oil and whatever replaces oil should
fit that same infrastructure for best effect.

The idea you're going to "stick it" to oil companies with some new
technology is naive.

As I recall, they said just about the same thing way back when most cars

could
only get 10 or 15 mph, and the federal government mandated that they

needed to
improve dramatically as their contribution to our national energy policy.

It
took a few years, but after that, just about every vehicle on the market

was
capable of getting 25-30 mpg from our existing fuel supply. I don't think
anyone is claiming that the efficiency of existing auto engines have

reached any
sort of pinnacle. I suspect that, if pushed, the manufacturers will again
produce, just as they have in the past. Call it naive if you will, but

many
people think it possible.

.....The oil companies will become the "hydrogen companies", or "solar

companies" or "wind
companies" of the future.
They're not going away and until fusion nukes come along, energy is
always going to be a hard to come by, costly resource.