Old January 30th 20, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Default Upgrading panel

On Wednesday, January 29, 2020 at 10:01:29 PM UTC-6, Colten Coughlin wrote:
Hello!
I am looking to upgrade the panel in my 1-26, I am mainly looking for a audio vario, and a flight computer. I have been recommended a 302 or lxnav Vario, and a oudie flight computer. I would possibly still be open to other options as well though. If you or someone you know has anything for sale, if you could let me know that would be great!
Thank you!
Colten Coughlin

I flew for years with the Cambridge 302 and an Oudie - a great combination. I also flew with a 302 and an iPaq - a cheaper, but not as good, of a combination.

The 302 is a great inexpensive older electronic vario, IGC recorder, and speed to fly computer. Repair is still available through Gary Kammerer.

The Oudie (SeeYou mobile) directly with the 302 with the included cabling talks. All Oudies (except the IGC model) has an "automotive" grade GPS engine but the 302 provides its much better "aviation" grade GPS data. As the 302 is an approved FAI flight recorder the Oudie comes with a utility to download the IGC file to its memory. The 302 also supplies wind data to SeeYou mobile.

The Oudie is obviously highly portable to take home and play with. Early on I would suction cup (comes with the Oudie) it to my car's dash and try out the highly customizable features.

Some last Oudie comments;

- Go with the Oudie 2 or Oudie IGC if for no other reason than the much brighter screen.
- When making changes to the configuration always create a new profile (stored on the Oudie's memory). In this way you can "recover" to an earlier profile if you screw up. And/or have multiple profiles for when you travel to other glider ports.
- The Oudie easily connects to your computer to retrieve IGC flight logs. This also allows you to back up your profiles, not to mention sharing profiles with other soaring pilots.
- The non-IGC Oudie's battery doesn't last very long. Best to route ship's power to it via the supplied cabling. Or use an external USB charger/battery.

All in all the 302 and the Oudie is a great combo.

My $0.02. Good luck.

- John OHM Ω