Old December 24th 07, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default 2008 Proposed US Competition Rules Changes

Changing tasks in the air is a very good tool and should continue to
be used. In the many contests that I have flown, we have always had a
few task changes and it has always worked to make a better and safer
contest. There is no sense in sending the whole fleet into an area of
dead air or where sotrms are developing. To try to anticiapte this
before launch is just impossible. Charlie Spratt is a master at
understanding the conditions and changing the task when required.
With todays GPS and logger systems, it is far easier than the old days
of photos. When a task change occurs, just go out a little way and
find some empty space to reset the task in your computer. It doesn't
take that long anyway. I would much rather fly a task in better
conditions than being forced to fly into storms and landing out.
There lies much more danger.

ASW27 BV