Old September 1st 04, 12:20 AM
W.J. \(Bill\) Dean \(U.K.\).

Derek Piggott has written as follows:

"I think lots of people still think that pro-spin controls means having a
lot of rudder or aileron on and don't realise that the important thing is
the stick position. If the stick is well back, spinable machines spin:
without the stick being back they don't spin.

"I don't need to tell you that many other gliders will spin a turn or two if
the stick is kept back on the stop, the c.g. is well aft and a wing drops,
even if the aileron and rudder are still central."

Even if the pilot coordinates perfectly, and string and ball remain exactly
central, a gust or turbulence may cause enough asymmetry to start a wing
drop. Gustiness, gradient, shear and turbulence are particularly likely
close to the ground.

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.

"Chris OCallaghan" wrote in message
om...

snip

BTW, as I noted in another thread, spins are not caused by lack of
airspeed, but uncoordinated use of the controls -- at least in modern
sailplanes. Two things must happen to enter a spin: 1) you must
stall, and 2) you must fail to apply sufficient rudder during your
attempt to pick up the low wing with aileron. That is, the sailplane
is designed with enough rudder to stop autorotation, even with full
deflection of the aileron throughout the stall break.

snip