Old September 9th 03, 02:43 PM
Ed Rasimus

Scott Peterson wrote:

But he left the ballpark
when he tried to go political and engaged in wholesale libel with his
"the Guard was a haven for draftdodgers" crap.

Wasn't it? That's certainly the way I remember it....and I knew a
quite a few people who were in it for exactly that reason.

Well, I've got the distinct impression that the period in question is
prior to your birth, but let me point out that there is a considerable
difference between ANG and Army NG. During the SEA period, a lot of
folks sought Guard duty specifically to avoid active Army draft
service. But, to stretch the Guard responsibility to fit the mission
and extensive training requirements of an ANG pilot is a significant
move.

Good question. I thought that through the 1980's the chain of command
for the NG went to the Governor unless the unless the units had been
federalized.

The example that comes to mind was Eisenhower doing this to keep NG
troops from being used by segratationist governors in the school
integration efforts in the mid-1950's.

While you are technically correct, in that NG units are under the
control of the Governor of the state, there is a parallel chain of
command to the NGB and then reporting to the appropriate service CinC
and then JCS. While Army Guard units were activated to enforce federal
policy and also for disaster relief and riot duty (in '68) the ANG
units are much more often activated for federal military service
deployed.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (ret)
***"When Thunder Rolled: