Old May 27th 04, 06:03 AM
Richard Kaplan

"Barry" wrote in message

The current PTS is FAA-S-8081-4C with changes 1 and 2. Change 2 added the
Rating Task Table and was issued 3/11/99. I couldn't find it online so I
posted it on alt.binaries.pictures.aviation.

Thank you... much appreciated.

In reviewing the original version 4C as well as changes 1 and 2, I think it
could reasonably be said that the "IPC task list" is the list of items from
which FAR 61.57 allows the instructor to select a "representative" number of
tasks. I believe that is how/why an IPC can be conducted today in an FTD or
advanced ATD without a circling approach; there is no explicit statement
that all of the IPC tasks must be included in an IPC, so I would conclude a
CFII has the discretion to select a representative number of the tasks from
the IPC task list.

The new "gotcha" item which grabs my attention in the new version 4D PTS is
the following on page 16 -- note in particular the last sentence which I
have quoted:

Instrument Proficiency Check. 14 CFR part 61.57(d) sets forth the
requirements for an instrument proficiency check. The person giving that
check shall use the standards and procedures contained in ths PTS when
administering the check. A representative number of TASKs, as determined by
the examiner/instructor, must be selected to assure the competence of the
applicant to operate in the IFR environment. As a minimum, the applicant
must demonstrate the ability to perform the TASKs as listed in the above
chart.

Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com