Old March 17th 04, 03:56 AM
Newps

Matthew S. Whiting wrote:
Newps wrote:

Matthew S. Whiting wrote:

Does the ATC controller then intiate SAR if the pilot hasn't called
in within 30 minutes or so?

You are never out of contact with ATC, how could this be a factor.

There are lots of airports here in northern PA where you can't talk to
the controller on the ground after landing.

Well a few minutes ago we were talking about landing at towered
airports. My comments were directed at those circumstances. landing at
uncontrolled fields is a different matter.

I'm real nervous now if you are telling me

that it is up to the last controller to initiate SAR if a flight plan
isn't closed by the pilot.

Yes, it is.

I always assumed some computer somewhere

kept track of open flight plans and automatically kicked something
out if one was still open at some time past the ETA.

The computer does not keep track like you think. A human controller does.

Not for IFR, just VFR.

Interesting that a VFR flight plan is more automated than an IFR flight
plan.

I didn't say that. There's a lot more automation with an IFR flight plan.