Old March 1st 05, 08:29 PM
Andrew Gideon

I have been cleared, as I said, many times, on departure, "direct
FUBAR intersection"

It's been a long time since I've flown /A or /U, but I don't happen to
recall being cleared this way.

However, many IFR departures out of CDW get a clearance "180 vectors LANNA
v30...". I myself have received that while /A or /U. Yet, there's no way
to fly that if RADAR happens to go down.

Making it stranger, one of the VORs on which LANNA is based is roughly
between the airport and LANNA. So a clearance "...SBJ v30 LANNA..." would
yield almost the exact same track *and* be flyable w/o GPS or RADAR.

I've never understood why they use LANNA instead of SBJ as the first fix.

- Andrew