Old August 5th 04, 04:47 PM
Hans-Joachim Maximilian

(robert arndt) wrote in message . com...
rb wrote in message ...
I believe that a later model of the Ju-87 was designed with retractable
undercarriage. Probably given a different model number as I think it
might have been a bigger aircraft. I don't believe it ever flew (having
been developed so late in the war). Anyone have any references?
Secondly, why wasn't the original JU-87 ever given retractable
undercarriage, it must have impinged on performance considerably?
cheers
rb

In 1941, work on improving the Ju-87 was started. The new model would
be the Ju-187 with rearward retractable gear, straight tapered wings,
and a 180 degree rotating tail unit that allowed the rear gunner an
unrestricted view for firing the auto-aiming twin MG-151 cannon
turret. Performance would increase in max speed from 186 mph to 242
mph and bombload now up to 4,409 lbs. One full scale mock-up was
completed before the RLM cancelled the project without reason in the
autumn of 1941.

Model:
http://www.hobbytek-idc.co.kr/m200/w...r2/ju187-1.jpg
Mock-up under construction:
http://www.hobbytek-idc.co.kr/m200/w...r2/ju187-3.jpg

Rob

Whatever close support piston-engined dive bomber they created it had
to have near perfect fighter protection. The equation always mandated
that the dive-bombers have protection.

Against badly organized aviation the Germans could be threadbare in
their fighter provision for close support escort duties.

It will not work against even a small air force which has the capacity
to task fighters to specific high value targets of opportunity.