Old November 1st 06, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dave Doe

Default How do you find the limits of areas on a chart?

In article ,
says...
I see tons of restricted areas, MOAs, Class B, C, D, E airspace, and
the like on charts, but no clear indication of how to locate the
boundaries of these areas other than by pure guesstimate based on
looking at the chart. On rare occasions I see a radial noted as the
boundary of an area, or a radius, but in many cases there is nothing.
How in the world are you supposed to know when you are inside or
outside one of these areas, if you are not flying miles away from
them?

Yes, GPS units and some other devices may provide real-time display of
one's position with these areas superimposed, but such devices have
not always been available.

You can use your instruments and you can use your eyes. You get
clearances (if required) *before* you enter an area. When climbing out
and under VFR you ensure you remain below TMA's by the same technique -
well *before* the area.

If IFR, you fly what you're told - if you think the controller's made a
mistake (because of what you can see on the charts), then asking for
clarification might be wise.

You might like to note the differences between IFR charts and plates vs
VFR charts (which, if you look, are really maps - topo maps).

--
Duncan