Old August 14th 03, 01:05 PM
john smith

Dan Moos wrote:
Until now. I've recently joined a flying club that has a c182 and a warrior.
My my last 20 or so hours are in the warrior. I bet I 've gotten as few as
5 landings that I'm proud of in that time. Nothing dangerous, just massive
floating, followed by clunking it in with maybe even a bounce or 2. Usually
just one. I'm aware of the inhanced ground effect present in a low-wing
plane. I fly my aproaches at around 65 knots with the second noch of flaps.
I seem to have similar struggles with no and full flaps.

You didn't mention if you are doing power-on or power-off approaches. In
a Warrior, unless you are following other traffic around the pattern,
your approaches should all be power off.

If you are floating, you are too fast.
1.3Vso is fine coming down final, but by the time you get to the runway
threshold, you need to have bled the airspeed off to about five knots
above stall. Holding pitch attitude as the airspeed bleeds off will
allow the aircraft to settle predictably onto the runway. Continue to
hold the nose off the runway until the elevator loses effectiveness
unless you are braking for short field landings. Braking will cause the
nose wheel to slam onto the runway.