Old March 19th 07, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jonathan Goodish

Default Radio Replacement

In article ,
"Dan Luke" wrote:
Although an interesting anecdote, absolutely useless I think for
considering what radio to put in the plane in question.

The point was not about getting anywhere near the money back as what was
spent on it (sic).

The point is that an older airplane without a 430 is more difficult to
sell
than one so equipped; hardly a useless consideration when considering a
NAV/COM upgrade.

Um, I don't see how it is a good thing to throw money away just so that the
plane sells... If, at some time the owner wants to sell, he/she can always
put it in the panel or reduce the price.

Spending 12k on a 430 and then getting maybe 1k more on the sale over what
was in the panel originally is not really worth it - you are doing yourself
no favors.

You're still not getting it.

To me, it doesn't make sense to agonize over buying (or selling) a plane
based on whether it has a 430 in it or not. In my case, even if I had
the 430, there would be folks who wouldn't look at the plane because it
doesn't have leather, or it doesn't have a newer audio panel, or it
doesn't have an autopilot, or it doesn't have one thing or another that
they're looking for. If I was looking at a plane, avionics would be one
of the last things I'd look at, and when I did look at avionics, I'd
negotiate the price down if I felt that avionics work was needed. At
that point, it would be up to the seller to determine whether there was
a market for his plane at his asking price.

The reality is that, despite what some people may think, a 430 is not
required equipment in an airplane these days, even if you fly IFR.
There may be folks whose use of the plane will benefit from an IFR GPS,
but my guess is that it is a true requirement for very few.

JKG