Old July 18th 05, 09:07 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Richard Kaplan" wrote in message
news:1121648410.b2786fdd685115fb6a5d55851079def3@t eranews...

Sure you get re-routes all the time. However, you are under no obligation
to accept them if you have good reason.

In this case I would have declined the re-route and stood my ground ---
end of story.

Based on what "good reason"?

I have encountered similar situations flying to Long Island where I have
been assigned overwater re-routes -- no matter how unhappy or insistent
ATC may be I will not accept an overwate route nor am I required to do so.
The same logic applies here. There can be nor would there be any adverse
consequences for the pilot to exert PIC authority in the interest of
flight safety.

Whose flight safety? Do you think Potomac approach is denying the
thruflight on a whim? Odds are it's because there's a significant amount of
arrival or departure traffic going through that area. What do you expect
ATC to do with them?